Claw Care

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I trim my kitties' front claws regularly and their back claws when they let me. I had the vet do the back a week or so ago. Anyway, their claws, especially my female's, seem to crush and splinter rather than cut clean. I've tried two different styles of clippers but it still happens. Is there anything I could give the cats to improve their claw quality? It seems like it'd be uncomfortable, but they don't seem too bothered.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of clippers are you using?

I use a pair of scissors that you can get at most pet stores, Walmart, etc.  They seem to cut pretty cleanly, and I do as many as 30 cats in a couple of hours at the shelter.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps it the angle you're holding the clippers at? You could get the vets to show you a better technique.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've also noticed that the claw sheath comes off sometimes during clipping, which alarmed me at first because it seemed like I was splitting the nail.  (The shedding of the claw sheath is normal, though.)  I also have to replace my clippers about once a year if they are not giving me smooth, quick cuts.  I like the guillotine style and always have to have the cat on my lap and come at the paw from behind to get a good angle. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found out why it's crushing/splintering the nail. I looked up my clippers on petsmart.com and it's got 1/5 stars with several complaints similar to mine. I think I'm going to go with the nail scissors.

curiosityscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a thought...After you clip (or your Vet clips) your cat's claws, you could also use (or have your Vet put them on), a product called Soft Paws (they are plastic sleeves that slip over the clipped claw and are kept in place with a liquid glue adhesive). The sleeves come in various colors (actually, the amount/number of available covers is amazing --and hilarious, because they even put out various seasonal colors like for Spring or Halloween and Christmas). The pak also comes with more than what is needed for one application, so you at least get a couple uses before having to buy again. I'm sure there are more brands on the market by now, but I like Soft Paws. I even saw a clear brand offered for kittens at Pet's Mart yesterday. My cat's didn't seem to mind the sleeves much at all, some cats may chew them a bit at 1st, but overall they seem to be fine with them. The length the plastic covers stay on claws depends on the cat (chewing, nail growth, etc.), and if one slips off sometimes you can re-glue the same one on again or just glue on a replacement from your pak. But typically, the sleeves fall off on their own accord when it is time and as the nail grows out (approx 30 days).I mention them because if your cat's nails aren't strong (although your stated that is not your cat's issue), the plastic sleeves may provide a bit of extra support (they are sort of a pliable rubber and thick enough to last, but not cause discomfort). Plus, they are great for keeping cats from shredding whatever they aren't suppose to shred, and a MUCH moore humane alternative to the inhumane and cruel practice of de-clawing. Of course, for anyone whose cat has fragile nails, they should contact their Vet to determine whatever the under lining health issue may be. I've had good experiences with them, but that's just my own opinion, as I said, just a thought. And Yes, sharpness of your clippers definitely makes a difference. *winks* (but I'm too chicken to cut my own cat's claws *lol*)