Clancy And Prednisolone

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone;

Clancy continues to do well on the prednisolone. He’s off pain meds but still needs his appetite stimulant and the pepcid as his diet is not quite at 100%.

My vet checked him out today and said he was well hydrated and his abdomen didn’t seem to be that tender anymore (although it’s hard to tell because he hates having his tummy squeezed in the best of times.) He’s peeing and pooping again, and today we hit a landmark victory when Clancy jumped into his cat perch--his favourite spot. He hasn’t done that since he got sick.

He’s on Day 5 of pred and the vet recommended that we keep him on the 5 mg daily dose for two more days, and try reducing the dose by half for three days, and if all goes well, go down to 1/4, etc. Of course if he seems to regress we’ll go back up to the 5 mg.

Here’s the question: for those of you who weaned cats off pred, what was your titration schedule? Did you reduce every three days, five days, a week? How long were your cats on pred?

(p.s. In an earlier post, I mentioned the yellowy-orange colour I saw on the fur between his legs. Upon reflection, I think it was a splat of laxatone that dripped off my finger, not his pee. Just call me paranoid !:winkcat:)

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the vet can best tell you the taper down schedule - I would ASSUME it might have something to do with the strength of the dose. My cat had severe allergies and was licking a spot on her knee making an open sore. We started her on atopica but that can take up to 30 days to kick in so during that time, we were using 5mg of prednisolone. It was daily for about 2 weeks I believe and then we skipped to every other day dosing until we were done with what was in the bottle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the vet can best tell you the taper down schedule - I would ASSUME it might have something to do with the strength of the dose. My cat had severe allergies and was licking a spot on her knee making an open sore. We started her on atopica but that can take up to 30 days to kick in so during that time, we were using 5mg of prednisolone. It was daily for about 2 weeks I believe and then we skipped to every other day dosing until we were done with what was in the bottle.
I was just curious about everyone else’s experience.