ckd & wet food only

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am curious if there's anyone out there that has a kidney disease kitty that has never eaten dry food, dehydrated food, dried treats, etc. Has anyone ever heard of a cat developing ckd by seriously only consuming wet food???

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried to google, as I guess you did and the system will not respond to is a cat who only eats wet food safe from kidney disease? Google did not answer merely talked about eating a wet food diet as good. Tried My cat has only eaten wet food and still got kidney disease? Same answers as before.

Since this is only my experience it really proves nothing. However, here it is. This was a long time ago, we had four cats same family. They were only fed wet food. One died from kidney disease at age 12. His brother died of what was probably FIP at 17, but wasn't a recognized illness then. His sister died of cancer at 16, and his mother died of cancer at 19.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are a lot of factors associated with why a cat might acquire CKD. Age is a big player, as can be genetics.

I can tell you the opposite - at least from the standpoint of my two previous cats - Tawny, who died of FIP at 15, and Gracie, who died of cancer at 12. Neither had any inkling or sigs of kidney issues whatsoever. Tawny was only fed Tender Vittles (which probably had a bit more 'moisture' than standard dry food) for his entire life, and Gracie never ate anything but dry food.

Have you checked out www.feline.crf.org and/or joined the CKD support group ([email protected] | Topics ) for more information/insight?

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am curious if there's anyone out there that has a kidney disease kitty that has never eaten dry food, dehydrated food, dried treats, etc. Has anyone ever heard of a cat developing ckd by seriously only consuming wet food???
My 16 year old did. All they ate were wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So obviously ckd is possible minus the diet. All I hear from people is dry food is the worst thing ever to feed a cat. Well even if I don't, they still might end up with kidney failure which is one of the reasons not to feed dry. I have spent serious money on trying to feed a high quality diet, I have used catinfo.org as my guideline & one of my cat kids came back with high creatinine the other day. I have been thinking about this for days trying to see where I went wrong. If it's genetics, I did nothing wrong but I still might have to deal with a kidney failure kitty, which I have done in the past & it's too much for me.

So bottom line is, I guess it doesn't really matter if you feed them wet, dry, cheap, expensive, if their genetics are going to make them have ckd then that's just the way the cards were dealt. it sucks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
one of my cat kids came back with high creatinine the other day
Since you have previously dealt with ckd, you probably already know the factors, besides creatinine, that are assessed, but in case you don't -Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Blood Chemistry Panel (felinecrf.org). This link also discusses other possible causes for an elevated creatinine level, such as a very high protein diet, an infection, or cats with a lot of muscle mass.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The two reason's wet food may be better than dry 1. Cats tend to not drink enough water, and they will develop a urinary track issue.
2. Dry food tends to be high calorie. Also, it is left out all the time and cats tend to develop weight issues.
I feed my cat's a cheap friskees cat food all their life. I have one cat with ckd still hanging in there and hyper-thyroid. Furthermore, I can't give her the drugs because she stops eating, so I have resorted to using homeopathic treatments. She seems normal and acts normally. But she is 16 years 6 months old. That is a long life for a kitty. It's like anything, nature is cruel, and no guarantees are issued to anything that lives, including humans.

My other cat has lung cancer and is being treated with mushrooms. So far Sammy is hanging tuff he's 12.
I can't afford the Chemo, my vet said one lady spent thousands on Chemo the dog passed in 3 months by lung cancer. Sammy already has exceeded that. I use natural products for my arthritis and so far pain management has been successful, so that is probably why I tend to lean that way.

Since I have been dealing with reruns CKD and read tons of articles, I have formed the belief that cat food that is real high in phosphorus is not a good thing to feed them. It does help to use food sources lower but still has some in it. Since rerun will not eat any vet food. I have been using a phosphate binder and normal cat food.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kidney issues can be genetic and diet has no role. Certain breeds are predisposed to kidney issues. My Abyssinian may have early renal amyloidosis, a kidney disease that mainly affects Abys. The most recent blood work shows slightly elevated protein levels. My cat has only eaten raw for his entire life.