Ckd Stage 1 Help

hawaii500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, Sorry for the massive post I added his latest results below.

So my 13 y.o cat has had blood and urine results that put him as bordline or possible kidney disease about a year ago and at our most recent visit the vet said he would now be classified as stage 1 kidney disease. He felt the levels have been fairly stable and did not recommend any course of action at this stage.

I've brushed up on what I already know, but I'm still a little overhwhelmed with all the information and can't quite find anything straight foward on what, if anything I could do.

I foud this info: Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 1 Electrolytes. The primary treatment at this point is to supplement lost electrolytes, which are usually just potassium, but can also be phosphorus or calcium, and to increase water intake.

My guy is currently on an all wet diet, has his spring water fountain and some dental chews occasionaly. We took a break trying raw as he just wouldn't take to it (many many tries) though I will keep trying periodically, but I don't expect it to ever be a large portion of his diet.

Any help or information specific to stage 1 would be greatly appreciated. My vet would be open to persuaive ideas if I present them. I found this site super helpful in the past so I really appreciate it.

Thanks so much

HAEMATOLOGY

Test Result Alert Units Reference Range

*RBC 8.9 x10^12/L4.9 - 10.0
*HAEMOGLOBIN 142 g/L 77 - 156
*HAEMATOCRIT 0.44 L/L 0.25 - 0.48
*RETICULOCYTE % 0.1 % 0.0 - 0.4
*RETICULOCYTE ABS 9 x10^9/L 3 - 50
*MCV 49 fL 43 - 55

*MCH 16 pg 13 - 17
*MCHC 323 g/L 282 - 333
*PLATELET COUNT 369 x10^9/L 300 - 800
*WBC 7.7 x10^9/L 5.5 - 19.0
*NEUTROPHILS% 64 %
*NEUTROPHILS 4.9 x10^9/L 2.0 - 13.0

*LYMPHOCYTES% 27 %
*LYMPHOCYTES 2.1 x10^9/L 0.9 - 7.0
*MONOCYTES% 4 %
*MONOCYTES 0.3 x10^9/L 0.0 - 0.6
*EOSINOPHILS% 5 %
*EOSINOPHILS 0.4 x10^9/L 0.0 - 1.0

*BASOPHILS% 0 %
*BASOPHILS 0.0 x10^9/L <= 0.1
*BLOOD SMEAR Automated CBC.
EXAMINATION

BIOCHEMISTRY

*SODIUM 152 mmol/L 144 - 158
*POTASSIUM 4.0 mmol/L 3.7 - 5.4
*CHLORIDE 118 mmol/L 106 - 123
*BICARBONATE 21 mmol/L 12 - 24

*NA : K RATIO 38.0 29.0 - 40.0
*ANION GAP 17.0 mmol/L 15.0 - 31.0
*GLUCOSE, SERUM 6.0 mmol/L 3.2 - 7.5
BIOCHEMISTRY

*SODIUM 152 mmol/L 144 - 158
*POTASSIUM 4.0 mmol/L 3.7 - 5.4
*CHLORIDE 118 mmol/L 106 - 123
*BICARBONATE 21 mmol/L 12 - 24

*NA : K RATIO 38.0 29.0 - 40.0
*ANION GAP 17.0 mmol/L 15.0 - 31.0
*GLUCOSE, SERUM 6.0 mmol/L 3.2 - 7.5
*UREA 10.7 mmol/L 5.0 - 15.0
*CREATININE 0.12 mmol/L 0.08 - 0.20
*SDMA 9 ug/dL 0 - 14

*CALCIUM 2.3 mmol/L 2.1 - 2.8
*PHOSPHATE 1.2 mmol/L 1.0 - 2.3
*CA : P RATIO 1.9 1.1 - 2.3
*PROTEIN, TOTAL 70 g/L 60 - 84

*ALBUMIN 34 g/L 25 - 38
*GLOBULIN 36 g/L 31 - 52
*A:G RATIO 0.9 0.5 - 1.1
*BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 3 umol/L 0 - 7
*ALP 34 IU/L 5 - 50
*AST 30 IU/L 2 - 62

*ALT 52 IU/L 19 - 100
*CK 323 IU/L 64 - 400
*CHOLESTEROL 6.6 High mmol/L 2.2 - 5.5
*GAMMA GT 0 IU/L 0 - 5
*SAMPLE APPEARANCE Nil haemolysis
* Mild lipaemia

*URINE SPECIFIC GRAVITY 1.013

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't dealt with this but I know many people have found this site helpful Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat Stage 1 is still early in the disease progress and it sounds like you are doing the right things. I do know that low phosphorous foods help. It used to be thought that low protein was the way to go but it is actually low phosphorous. That website has a chart with food's phosphorous content Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA The ones at the top of the list are the lowest. It isn't always easy to figure out the phosphorous content from the label and the food's website.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hawaii500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I have that page bookmarked and was looking over some of the information.

I saw this part yesterday:

• Take action as soon as phosphorus goes above 1.9 mmol/L.

• If your cat's level is between 1.45 and 1.9 mmol/L, but multiplying it by your cat's calcium level gives you a reading of 5 or over, take action now.
I'm not sure how to read the above results I posted. Would it be 'PHOSPHATE' that I'm looking at?

Also not sure how to intepret calcium, I'm assuming CA : P is calcium / phosphate ratio? Not sure what that means though.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't answer your questions, but I've lost two cats to renal disease and would second Tanya's website. Her info is invaluable. You might want to ask your vet to interpret those labs for you.

The most important thing right now is to try to lower the phosphorus level of your cat's food. The prescription diets are often too low in phosphorus, but Lisa Pierson has a site that give the phosphorus level of commercial foods that can be helpful.

Neither of my guys would touch any of those foods--it was Fancy Feast or nothing for them, and the vet emphasized that it was important for them to eat--regardless of the food. So I got a phosphorus binder to add to their food. I don't know whether it helped or not. One of my boys lasted 6 years from diagnosis; the other was gone in 19 months. Vets will tell you that it's impossible to know how any individual cat will respond. We just try to love them and keep them comfortable as long as possible.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found this Feline CRF Information Center - Tests & Diagnostics Keep in mind I am not a vet or a vet tech so I would definitely discuss it with your vet. From that article A healthy cat will have a calcium to phosphorus ratio of 1:1 to 2:1. Since damaged kidneys cannot adequately process phosphorus, calcium levels must rise to compensate.

From the results that you have posted: CA : P RATIO 1.9 1.1 - 2.3 It looks like they are using 1.9 to 1.1 as a normal range, your cat's result is 2.3. It is slightly high by both ranges.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First off, I'm sorry for the diagnosis, but as you've already read, it's not an immediate death sentence :hugs:. Most cats don't even get diagnosed until that are way past Stage One. Usually they are already drinking way more than usual, and losing weight like crazy before they are diagnosed, sometimes already having lost 95% of their kidney function. I've had three kidney cats and they were all that way.

Second, I've asked that your post be moved over to the Health Forum.

Third, if you try raw again, my only suggestion is that you do NOT use bone, but use eggshell powder as your source of calcium. We also fed raw when my last cat was diagnosed, and this was the only immediate change we made (food wise). Bone has too much phosphorus in it. Next, you do not want to give them extra Potassium, (which is the ONLY one of the items you mentioned above that I have ever heard of actually supplementing) unless they show signs of low Potassium, which would be noticeable...head hanging low, walking on their hocks, that sort of thing. None of my cats ever had that issue, but many do.

Fourth, this website was my "go to" for anything kidney related. It is not interactive, but provides so much information that is it a must have for any kidney cat advocate: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

So for the moment, maybe just add some water to her food at each meal just to make sure she stays well hydrated is the only thing I can suggest. I do that now with ALL my cats just to try to keep any more of them from getting this issue.