Ckd Not Eating Despite Interest

Onomoniapoea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've taken her to the vet who just gave her anti nausea pills. I haven't given them since the anti-nausea shot did nothing and I'm trying to avoid traumatizing her.

She's 15 and has stable stage 2 chronic kidney disease. Her latest blood work from two weeks ago shows that her kidney values look even better than before. She appeared to be healthy.

She's barely eating since that check-up. She'll run over for food, take a few sniffs, then gulps water instead. She's rejecting all the wet food flavors she usually likes, so I tried new ones. Fancy Feast's chicken breast in tuna water treat was a hit, but it specifically states that it's only a treat. She did lick some baby food this morning. She's going to the bathroom a lot thanks to all that water. I've tried warming her food up.

I don't know what to do. She's only 6 lbs. and is alert, wants to cuddle, and is interested in food. It's there something else? I'm desperate to get her to eat more.

Note: I was desperate enough to give her dry food. She threw up repeatedly. She had been interested in eating that...

Last edited by a moderator:

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I'm sorry your kitty isn't feeling well. Are you a member of the Tanya's renal cats group? If not, I would strongly encourage you to join them - they are by far the best experts on all things CKD. I had a CKD cat years ago but unfortunately don't remember much - they can help guide you. here is the link and you can view lots of information as well Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

www.felinecrf.org

I do remember my CKD cat was very picky on food and she would eat something for month and then hate it....keep trying different foods. I remember daves naturally healthy was one she liked for awhile, gobblicious dinner was one she liked.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had three kidney cats myself, and getting them to eat was always a major problem. That website C cat princesses referenced above is my "go to" for most things kidney related, but it's HUGE, so I'm wondering if you managed to find this page within it: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Persuading Your Cat to Eat Lots of helpful info there.

I remember with my last kidney girl, she would like one food one day, then hate if for awhile, and suddenly like it again, so I would try again on some of her old favorites, plus just keep trying new food every day. I just went to Petsmart and Petco and Pet Club (or wherever I could find) and bought one of every can to see what she'd eat. If I found a winner, no matter even how much phosphorus it had in it, I would feed it to her, with our Vet's approval. Some of the ones she liked on and off were Merrick's Surf and Turf, Iams Perfect Delights Tunatopia, Fancy Feast Medleys, Natural Balance Catatouille. And my girl would not eat very much at any one sitting. I fed her about 9 times per day, including 2 meals during the middle of the night. That's what it took, so I did it.

Please read the link I sent. She may need some Vitamin B, which can be given via injection. My girl couldn't be given anything medication wise via mouth. Everything had to be either injectable or transdermal gel. We'd just do those during petting sessions and she never even knew what hit her :wink:. Anyhoo, if the Vitamin B doesn't work, and a change in food doesn't work, there are always toppers to try. All kinds of hints are on that link.

Keep us posted.

:vibes::vibes::vibes: