Cisapride question

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 16yo cat has had chronic constipation for years that seems to have caused her to develop megacolon. It has been managed with diet and Miralax for a long time but now we need to add in Cisapride. The directions say to give 30 min before meal time, every 12 hours. This is difficult because she is a grazer. She often takes at least 1-2 hours to finish a small can of food. Also, it is a 2 person job to give her any med that is not transdermal and we often feed her when only 1 of is home. So my question is how important is the direction of 30 min before meals? Can we just give it to her twice a day, sometimes after a meal and have it work? I plan on calling the vet on Monday but thought someone here might have experience with this medication.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper has constipation issues due to perineal hernia. He takes Miralax and Cisapride daily. If he doesn’t get it, he can develop megacolon.

He gets a quarter teaspoon of Miralax and 10 mg. of Cisapride mixed in with his food daily.

He eats 50 % dry and 50% wet food. We grind up the pill with a mortar and pestle then grind in a few pieces of his dry food to make a powder. That gets mixed in with his food and the Miralax is sprinkled on and mixed in.

Casper was hesitant to eat at first but, now, it’s normal for him.

He seems to like it best when his Girl-Human makes his food for him. Whenever I make his food, he takes one look at it then gives me an expression that seems to say, “You don’t make it like Mom does!” ;)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just as an FYI, you can get Cisapride compounded into a transdermal gel :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just as an FYI, you can get Cisapride compounded into a transdermal gel :wink:
I saw that. I’m going to ask the vet about it but she is already on 2 transdermal meds - methimazole for hyperthyroidism and Mirataz for appetite because she is very underweight. I think maybe once she gets off the Mirataz, we can consider transdermal cisapride but right now I’m not sure it would work.