cisapride alternative in EU for megacolon kitty?

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
I am writing on behalf of a friend who's not fluent in English and who's cat Jerry has megacolon.
Jerry is currently taking tanilas (macrogol), duphalac (lactulose) and dulcosoft (macrogol), which are laxatives/ stool softeners.
We found info available online mostly from people in the us using miralax and cisapride, of which miralax is a laxative and cisapride enhances GI movement. However, we found neither of the two available in Europe. Does anyone know of an alternative to cisapride that is good for cats?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Miralax is PEG 3350 and is known by several different names depending on what country you are in. Here in the U.S., I don't even use the actual Miralax, but rather a generic brand that is the same ingredient. If you google PEG 3350 you'll probably find out what it's called in your part of the world.

As for cisapride, I did find this, but you'd need to check with your Vet to see if any are available in your country AND if any are okay for felines:

"What drugs increase GI motility?

The agents that are most useful in the treatment of these disorders are neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide. Neostigmine appears to increase antral and intestinal motor activity in patients with hypomotility, including intestinal dysmotility.Sep 16, 2020

Intestinal Motility Disorders Medication - Medscape Reference
https://emedicine.medscape.com › 179937-medication"

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
I am writing on behalf of a friend who's not fluent in English and who's cat Jerry has megacolon.
Jerry is currently taking tanilas (macrogol), duphalac (lactulose) and dulcosoft (macrogol), which are laxatives/ stool softeners.
We found info available online mostly from people in the us using miralax and cisapride, of which miralax is a laxative and cisapride enhances GI movement. However, we found neither of the two available in Europe. Does anyone know of an alternative to cisapride that is good for cats?
Hi, did your friend find the equivalent of cisapride in Europe? My cat has decreased intestinal motility, and i can't find cisapride.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, did your friend find the equivalent of cisapride in Europe? My cat has decreased intestinal motility, and i can't find cisapride.
Cisapride is a prescription drug, so your Vet would need to prescribe a motility drug and should know what is available in your country.

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cisapride is a prescription drug, so your Vet would need to prescribe a motility drug and should know what is available in your country.
I already asked him but he couldn't think of any med. I'm looking for an equivalent to Cisapride in EU so i can ask him to prescribe it.