Ciao Cat Treats Contain Carrageenan!

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone gives Ciao cat treats to their kitties? I recently bought a few packs online after seeing their online advertisement:
Was attracted to it and tempted thus bought it. Just received and was shocked to see carrageenan listed as one of the ingredient!!! Should I proceed to give the treats to my kitty? Safe?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrageenan is in a lot of cat food, and people food. I do my best to stay away from it. However like you i have bought something and missed Carrageenan on the label :( I will not feed it on a daily basis, but i would most likely give them the treats one a week or so until they are used up, and then not buy them again. I don't think its a good thing to feed cats, but a lot of things in their food isn't. So i try to follow the moderation in all things rule, feed them as healthy as i can, and not worry to much about an occasional slip.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, duckpond duckpond is right. Many, MANY cans of cat food contain carrrageenan. Probably more DO than do not. So I think you are just fine in giving this to your furry friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies. Will give 1 or 2 weekly till finish. Yes, the video clip is great to watch, brighten up ones mood too. :) And my kitty too, crazy over this treats, is like a drug to him!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Setting aside the carrageenan issue for a moment, that video was a lot of fun to watch :)
I agree! It's cute!

I have pretty much the same philosophy about carrageenan as duckpond duckpond -- I don't feed it regularly though will occasionally feed a food the cats like that has carrageenan in it. Our cats have kind of sensitive digestive systems so I'm really careful about what we feed them. I've pretty much cut carrageenan out of the human diet in our house, too, with occasional lapses... usually for ice cream! The sad thing about the use of carrageenan is that, IMHO, nothing really needs it.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was horrified when I saw that I had missed that ingredient on a can of Merrick that I bought, one day. I still fed it because it's probably okay if the cat doesn't eat any all the time--but if your cat has issues like thyroid, allergies, stomach upset etc. I'd be careful. If it's inflammatory, it might be triggering to feed it! That video is crazy cute.