Chylous Effusion And Restrictive Pleuritis

xelda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat died today, and I'm overcome with grief. I feel like the only thing that would help right now is speaking with someone else who has experienced losing a cat this way.

He was 17-18 years old. THE companion of my life. He was alert and active, able to jump and run, and so full of vitality and a strong work ethic. He didn't seem old. I thought he had several years left in him. I'm in so much shock to have lost him so suddenly to such an unusual condition.

Three weeks ago, he suddenly had trouble breathing. I brought him to the vet. They drained fluid from his belly and his lungs. His lungs immediately expanded as soon as they started draining the fluid. But they couldn't get all of the fluid or figure out the cause, despite the blood work and the lab tests on the fluid. He was put on diuretics to help get rid of the remaining fluid, plus thyroid medication.
I kept an eye on his breathing for the next few weeks. It seemed better. His appetite returned. Half of his normal behaviors returned.

I missed the warning sign though. He suddenly started acting lethargic. I thought it was due to my house being a little warm that day. He was active after I lowered the temperature. But a few days later, he was in trouble again. I took him to the emergency vet. They quickly drained some fluid, put him on oxygen, gave him some time to recoup before they drained the rest of the fluid. They got all of it out by looking at the ultrasound. But his breathing didn't improve. The X-Rays revealed that his lungs couldn't expand to their normal size. They actually stayed the same size even after the fluid removal. There was too much scar tissue. :(

I'm so heartbroken. If I had known these would be my last few weeks with him, I would've blocked off all my PTO to be with him. He was my loyal companion for 16 years. I adopted him from the local shelter. We were both young adults at the time. He has been with me through everything.

Please. Has this happened to anyone else?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. You can't blame yourself and he knew he was loved by you up to the vet end. You gave him such a long, loving life and you have all those years of memories to help you through this sad and difficult time. You might want to post a tribute to him in the Crossing the Bridge forum.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
X xelda , I'm so sorry for your loss. It's devastating to lose one's lifelong furry companion :hugs:

There ARE people here who've lost their cats to this same health issue. As a matter of fact, I only found ONE cat who actually survived. They performed surgery on him because he was fairly young at the time of diagnosis. However, due to some damage done from meds, etc., he didn't end up living a full life, but had complications like anemia and diabetes. The Chylo never returned though.

Again, my sympathies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xelda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the replies.