Chronic swollen lymph node mystery!

Luls77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is very healthy and almost 2 years old that I adopted from the shelter When she was seven months old. She acts and looks great but she has very enlarged lymph nodes which she has had for months on her neck. She has seen the vet over this four times now. She has been tested for FIV and numerous other cat conditions that cause swollen lymph’s. They biopsied the swollen lymphs, and thank God it was non-cancerous. She finished a course of doxycycline which helped with her chronic Eye leaking but still the lymph nodes are swollen. We have also given her prednisone But that did not help either. I’ve started giving her daily Zyrtec to see if it’s allergy related but after a week they still have not gone down. She has been like this for the past six months at least that I’m aware of. Other than the swollen lymph she is a happy active, even slightly chubby girl. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
0CBA782B-BC92-4EA5-AE7C-A266759C3E26.jpeg

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Once all bases has been covered in making sure it that the cause is not viral, bacterial, allergy-related or an autoimmune disease, and last not be least cancer-- than you need to speak with the vet about the following condition called Ideopathic Lymphadenopathy-- this is a temporary enlargement of the lymph nodes that happens in young cats. It usually goes away on it's own. I had a friend that had a young kitty who had enlarged lymph nodes and she was in a panic thinking her cat was ill or had a condition. After much testing, everything possible was ruled out and the vet told her of the condition mentioned above. Sure enough the kitty's lymphnodes cleared up like a month later on their own.

I hope you find this helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luls77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once all bases has been covered in making sure it that the cause is not viral, bacterial, allergy-related or an autoimmune disease, and last not be least cancer-- than you need to speak with the vet about the following condition called Ideopathic Lymphadenopathy-- this is a temporary enlargement of the lymph nodes that happens in young cats. It usually goes away on it's own. I had a friend that had a young kitty who had enlarged lymph nodes and she was in a panic thinking her cat was ill or had a condition. After much testing, everything possible was ruled out and the vet told her of the condition mentioned above. Sure enough the kitty's lymphnodes cleared up like a month later on their own.

I hope you find this helpful.
That is such good information, thank you so much for sharing that! It makes me feel much better and hopeful. And there’s a chance she may be younger than I think because they guessed at her age and she looked quite small. I really appreciate it! I will talk to my vet about this and do some research on my own as well. :-)

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such good information, thank you so much for sharing that! It makes me feel much better and hopeful. And there’s a chance she may be younger than I think because they guessed at her age and she looked quite small. I really appreciate it! I will talk to my vet about this and do some research on my own as well. :-)
I left out fungal infections on the list of things to rule out. I hope that the medical mystery is solved and your kitty has nothing serious. As mentioned, that condition is benign and clears up on it's own.

I am glad you feel better. I have been put through the wringer with my own cats and their health problems. It can be very stressful. Your kitty is beautiful. She is lucky to have such a caring owner.😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luls77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing fungal they could find either! She is my little ray of sunshine! The happiest little confident busy body you’ve ever met. Thanks again... 👍