Chronic eye infections

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all!

One of my cats has been having issues with eye infections for awhile. It’s been a problem since I originally took him in as a stray a few years ago, but he has months where there are no problems and others where it won’t go away. It’s mostly the left eye. It gets weepy, covered in black crusties, and sometimes he keeps it shut a lot. I’ve never seen him rub at it at all so I don’t think it is itchy, and he doesn’t seem to have an issue with me messing with it (at least, not any more than usual for a cat).

The vet has prescribed an ophthalmic ointment (neomycin/polymyxin b sulfates/bacitracin zinc), but it often doesn’t seem to be doing much, and when it does, the infections keep coming back before long.

i know eye infections are supposed to be contagious, but fortunately none of my other cats have gotten them.

At this point, I’m kind of stumped. Should I push harder at the vet for an alternative solution? Try a different vet? Is it possible that it’s not an eye infection at all and just some sort of structural thing with his eye?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, would it be possible to try a different vet? (Some areas don't have enough veterinarians, so the ones that have clinics are incredibly busy).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have not already discussed the "why" of the recurrences with your current Vet, that's worth a try, but if you have and they don't have any reasonable answers, then I would get a 2nd opinion, preferable at a different office.

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suggest a second opinion at least.
If you have the option to take him to a vet ophthalmologist, they would probably be the best to help you. They have the knowledge and equipment to examine your cats eyes fully and also know best about eye conditions.

(I'd maybe do some research to find one that has good reputation)

Good luck! 😀🍀

KevinTempe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Decades ago, when I was in college, a stray gave birth to four kittens, all of whom had eye infections. The eye of one kitten was almost popping out. I took that kitten to the college vet clinic and they told me they could only prescribe the eye medication for a cat they had examined, meaning I would have to bring in all four and pay more money than I earned in months. So, I spent a few nights reading online medical papers and was able to glean that the prescribed medication was nothing more than triple antibiotic ointment available at Walmart for $1.50. I bought a tub and after a day and a half, the kitten's eyes completely cleared. a decade later, my vet grudgingly confirmed I was right. HOWEVER, there are some new varieties of triple antibiotic you absolutely cannot use - those are the ones that contain added pain relievers, like Pramoxine Hydrochloride. The ointment should only contain Bacitracin Zinc, Neomycin Sulfate, Polymixin B Sulfate. Here is the same ointment, but it requires a vet prescription: B.N.P. Triple Antibiotic Eye Ointment. Anyway, hope this helps. BTW, I just wipe it across their lids rather than putting it on the eyes itself.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat probably has no tear duct in that eye for drainage. I had a cat like that for many years. She was born that way. She lived a completely normal life except for her constantly “drippy” eye. I had her checked by different vets and all said the same thing — she had no lacrimal duct in that eye. So yes, it’s a structural issue and keeping the area clean will prevent infection.

What this means is you will constantly (daily) be wiping the eye area with a warm damp cloth. I was given ophthalmic antibiotic eye drops to use as needed. Keeping the eye area clean will prevent the crustiness and infections. I gave my cat an eye drop or two about once a week, which seemed to help keep her eye clear of infection and build-up of tears that can get infected.

It’s just a genetic defect that must be lived with. There is no use in spending money on different vets — a drippy eye is not life threatening, but rather an annoyance to be accommodated.

My cat, Missy, lived to age 16 and renal failure took her. I also had her brother, and he did not have the eye issue.

I wish you all the best!

C Cataria

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually have a cat that I’m taking to the vet for the same exact thing on Friday. By any chance is your cat a tabby cat? I have been taking care of a friends cats while he’s away and his tabby cat has runny eyes too. His vet told him it was allergies

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suggest a veterinary ophthalmologist. When my eldest was young, they thought he has a chronic virus carrier and had him on lysine. When that did nothing, we took him to the ophthalmologist. Turns out he has no tear ducts and entropion (rolled eyelids). They did entropion surgery on his lids so he couldn't roll them anymore. Nothing can be done about the missing tear ducts, but the entropion surgery helped prevent any more eye infections. You never know, it could be something structural.