Chronic Diarrhea

Braidedmetal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I have a 9 month old female persian cat. She has been having diarrhea since about 2 months now. I went to the vet when this had started and after some blood tests, a liver infection was diagnosed. She was put on special food and medicines for one month, but that didn't seem to help at all.. I don't know what to do? I can't afford the vet bills currently, at least this month, and that's why I'm delaying going there..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried any other food changes? I'm not a vet, and I realize there's an infection that hopefully has been addressed but tiki cat with pumpkin might help - due to the pumpkin.
Did the vet say what might have caused the infection in the first place? Did he talk about what to do for long term liver support?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really needs a follow up to see if the liver infection is cleared up after the meds. From there there could be a variety of other reasons why she is having diarrhea. Are you switching foods around on her? What is she eating now that the meds and food are done? Have you tried alternative meats, maybe she is sensitive to some over others, wet over dry? There are probiotics and meds to help clear up diarrhea too. Also has she had a couple fecal test done for parasites?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also did the vet say how such a young kitten ended up with a liver infection in the first place and if there is long term damage or support needed?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the delayed response...
I agree that the infection needs to be addressed first.
Has the vet actually done a culture to determine exactly what kind of bacteria is responsible for the infection? Sometimes certain bacteria do not respond to the normal medications.

The one positive thing about the liver is that it is the only organ that can repair itself. In fact, a healthy liver is actually in a constant state of self repair. HOWEVER, if there is damage occurring at a rate faster than the rate of repair, that is when you get into trouble and permanent scarring... and an infection is exactly that kind of trouble.

Once the infection has been cleared, you can assist the liver's natural repair process with support supplements like Marin (milk thistle) and Denosyl (SAM-e). If you opt for the human supplements, be sure to consult with your vet for dosages. Your vet might even recommend predinsolone for a while to help with inflammation.

Diet can also play an important part in keeping the liver functioning well. Foods that have too much grain, soy, fillers, or other unhealthy ingredients make the liver work harder than it really should. And if the liver is stressed by infection, you want to make its job easier by giving it the high meat protein diet that a carnivore's system is designed for.

Probiotics are also a good option for promoting a healthy gut while fighting infections. Many antibiotics will kill off the good gut bacteria that are needed for the digestive process. If things are not broken down well enough, that makes more work for the liver. So probiotics can help alleviate that burden.

If there has been permanent damage, you may need a lifetime support regimen... which is what I ended up doing for our angel Pippen. We managed his liver damage for 10 years, and we were grateful for every loving moment. :hearthrob: :angel3: :hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Braidedmetal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe try looking for a cheaper vet?
We really don't have good cat vets here in India! I'll definitely be going to the same vet again, but I'm trying to get some helpful inputs here, try a few things I can do without going to the vet. If nothing seems to work till April, of course I'll go to the vet :)

Braidedmetal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried any other food changes? I'm not a vet, and I realize there's an infection that hopefully has been addressed but tiki cat with pumpkin might help - due to the pumpkin.
Did the vet say what might have caused the infection in the first place? Did he talk about what to do for long term liver support?
So she had worms in the stomach, which is what supposedly caused the infection? I'm continuing the food recommended by the vet. He said I could continue it upto 3
She really needs a follow up to see if the liver infection is cleared up after the meds. From there there could be a variety of other reasons why she is having diarrhea. Are you switching foods around on her? What is she eating now that the meds and food are done? Have you tried alternative meats, maybe she is sensitive to some over others, wet over dry? There are probiotics and meds to help clear up diarrhea too. Also has she had a couple fecal test done for parasites?
The vet said stomach worms caused the infection.. She also had a urinary infection then, which was okay after medication. (She was given 3 different medicines) As for the food, the vet said i could continue it for three months to reduce stress on the liver, which I am, but I'm giving it in just one meal as per the directions given on the package. For the other meal, she is refusing commercial wet food and homemade minced chicken, which she was eating earlier, but now she vomits if I give her that. So she is on boiled chicken shreds and broth now. I would experiment with more food but I've finally got her to stop vomiting, which is a huge relief in itself! Should I try normal medicine for diarrhea? I WILL be going to the vet in a while, I'm just looking for how I can help my cat out until then!

Braidedmetal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the delayed response...
I agree that the infection needs to be addressed first.
Has the vet actually done a culture to determine exactly what kind of bacteria is responsible for the infection? Sometimes certain bacteria do not respond to the normal medications.

The one positive thing about the liver is that it is the only organ that can repair itself. In fact, a healthy liver is actually in a constant state of self repair. HOWEVER, if there is damage occurring at a rate faster than the rate of repair, that is when you get into trouble and permanent scarring... and an infection is exactly that kind of trouble.

Once the infection has been cleared, you can assist the liver's natural repair process with support supplements like Marin (milk thistle) and Denosyl (SAM-e). If you opt for the human supplements, be sure to consult with your vet for dosages. Your vet might even recommend predinsolone for a while to help with inflammation.

Diet can also play an important part in keeping the liver functioning well. Foods that have too much grain, soy, fillers, or other unhealthy ingredients make the liver work harder than it really should. And if the liver is stressed by infection, you want to make its job easier by giving it the high meat protein diet that a carnivore's system is designed for.

Probiotics are also a good option for promoting a healthy gut while fighting infections. Many antibiotics will kill off the good gut bacteria that are needed for the digestive process. If things are not broken down well enough, that makes more work for the liver. So probiotics can help alleviate that burden.

If there has been permanent damage, you may need a lifetime support regimen... which is what I ended up doing for our angel Pippen. We managed his liver damage for 10 years, and we were grateful for every loving moment. :hearthrob: :angel3: :hearthrob:
Yes, a culture was done and the medication was chosen accordingly! As for the diet, the vet has prescribed special food to reduce load on the digestive system, i am following that plus some chicken and broth. No unnecessary carbs! I'll definitely look into probiotics. Thank you! Pippen must have been looked after extremely well :') <3

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you contact your vet to find out if a little pumpkin would be ok to try and help with the diarrhea?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am afraid I don't have a lot more to add but the boiled chicken and broth is not a suitable long term diet, that can actually be very bad long term. As mentioned pumpkin could help a bit in the transition back to cat food.