Chronic Diarrhea-potential Fip Case

ty20gerald

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted Poe (named Troubles at the shelter) last October and he's been such a pleasure to have in our household. We adopted Hans a week before and just had to go back to get Poe.

Since then they both have had their run in with minor illnesses. Poe, however, has had several bouts of diarrhea. Usually, he will have it for a couple days and it will go away.

However for the last month and a half, he has had a serious case of diarrhea.

Around July, he had diarrhea for maybe a few days and we realized that he definitely had lost some weight so we took him to our vet. Put him on probiotics. Bloodwork was fine and did a fecal test. Couple days later, vet called and said he tested positive for the cornavirus (which of course mutates into FIP). Said that his symptoms of weight loss and diarrhea correlate with FIP. Vet decided to put him on a round of antibiotics, and dewormers just to rule things out.

While on the dewormers his bowel movements turned to more of a soft serve-much better than was before. Then returned back to liquid. Called vet and she was out so the other one put poe back on antibiotics until she got back. Our vet then gave us more probiotics.

After all of this, his diarrhea returned and has not gone away and has persisted. We are just at a loss because we have taken him to the vet many times in the past month and are looking for advice.

His behavior is his normal goofy self, although, pretty shy, reserved at times. May have a little anxiety, due to Hans picking on him and chasing him around. Still has that wild look as you would say. He also still eats and drinks water regularly.

We are obviously worried about his chronic diarrhea and would like some advice on how to get his bowel movements to return to normal. We do realize that it could be slow onset of FIP but are remaining positive since he is still being a booger/active/eating/drinking.

The cats get wet food once a day and have freedom to eat dry food throughout the day. Poe gets wet food twice a day because we are trying to get him to put on weight.

They did get different flavors (same brand) each day until I suggested that we use the same flavor just to test.

Any advice is appreciated.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing you can try is mixing a little bit of canned pumpkin(plain, not spiced) in with his wet food. Cats seem to like it and it helps firm up bowel movements.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read it helps to give them lactose free plain yogurt (It's hard to find, maybe at Whole foods would have it?). There is also this stuff FortiFlora, that you can put on their food. Those are both probiotic things to try.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many things can help diarrhea, but each kitty is different. I have one who has had bouts of diarrhea for 2 years. Turned out to be her Royal Canin dry food (she's fine with the wet) and fish. So neither of those for her.

I assume all PCR panels and poop tests have been done.

I have read that Iams Furball is very good at bringing around diarrhea. High fibre foods can really help with this issue.

Some people give their kitties a sprinkle of psyllium on their wet food but my vet cautioned against this as it can cause a blockage if they eat too much at once and then don't drink enough water. Maybe safer to stick with the food.

Probiotics can work well.

Last but not least an elimination diet. It's tedious but it's what made me realize my little girls problems were food related (and that my older itchy boy's itch problems were not). If the elimination diet helps, as long as it's a vet diet, they can remain on it, however food challenges and seeing how they go, while also tiresome, can make life a bit easier down the track.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cat could have coronavirus AND another issue such as IBD as well. Has your vet done an ultrasound yet? If IBD is also suspected, usually a hypoallergenic diet and steroids are given. Also, the coronavirus is pretty contagious, so keep that litter box extra clean to prevent re-contamination!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty20gerald

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all of your replies. Definitely plan on working on an diet elimination route.

We are using fortiflora.

We are going to consult with our vet on the diet route. I've been consulting forums on this site for the last couple of months and have appeared most helpful and active.

Thank you so much everyone!!