Chronic Diarrhea After Moving

NORAD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats, Aranciata and Tang. Aranciata is 3 1/2 years old and Tang is 2 years old, both domestic longhair cats. In June 2017, we moved from Portland, OR to the SF Bay Area. Prior to moving, my cats were perfectly normal and healthy. We boarded them for a week while we packed the apartment, picked them up from the boarding facility and drove down to the Bay Area the next morning. They slept the whole way down.

A few days after we arrived, they both started having terrible diarrhea. We took them to the vet who ran some tests and gave them dewormers. The tests came back negative for parasites, and the vet suspected that it could be the stress of moving. He put them on metronidazole for a week and forti flora. The diarrhea went on for a couple more weeks. The only thing that seemed to work in the end was putting them on a bland diet, then gradually easing back to their regular diet. (They eat avo derm grain free wet food and whole paws dry food).

Their stools firmed up for a month or so, but then Aranciata started having diarrhea again. Again, a couple of days on a bland diet seemed to help firm her stool up. Since then it’s been going on and off. Every month or so, one of them has random bouts of diarrhea that last 2-3 days. It is usually Aranciata, who has had about 8 episodes of diarrhea in the past year, but Tang has also had 2 or 3 episodes. Aside from the diarrhea, they are perfectly normal and healthy cats. No vomiting (aside from the occasional hairball), no blood in stool, and they always make it to the litter box. There has not been a change in their diet and they are indoor cats only.

I know this could have been triggered by the move, but it’s been a year! Could it be a parasite that the stool test did not detect? If it’s a food allergy, why are they fine for a month plus and then get diarrhea for a couple of days?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
In my opinion, it's either a food ingredient sensitivity or something environmental in your living area.
I would try a different brand of food.
Stop feeding the wet and change the dry, or the opposite, stop feeding the dry and change the wet, you need to try and pin this down with sort of an elimination diet.
Take a look at this, maybe it will help you find a food that works better for them;
Pet Food Guide

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wondering if it's the water. Have you tried only giving them filtered water? Also, have they had the diarrhea panel done to test for tritrichomonas foetus?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NORAD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your feedback! I’m inclined to think it’s an allergy or an intolerance as well. I only give them filtered water, so I doubt that water is the problem.

I don’t believe they were tested for tritrichomonas. I did read about it though, and from my understanding, it is hard to detect and treat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm unfamiliar with it, but maybe another member knows and will weigh in for you, with my reply hopefully bringing this back to the top of the list and visible:)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I can’t add anything to what might be causing the diarrhea, but if you aren’t already, you might want to routinely add a good probiotic to their food, one with Saccharomyces boulardii in it. Fortiflora is okay short-term to try to help diarrhea and to stimulate appetite but as a probiotic, it’s pretty limited. And since you used it and still are having problems, I’d try a better one like Nexabiotic.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your feedback! I’m inclined to think it’s an allergy or an intolerance as well. I only give them filtered water, so I doubt that water is the problem.

I don’t believe they were tested for tritrichomonas. I did read about it though, and from my understanding, it is hard to detect and treat?
It's easily diagnosed with the PCR Diarrhea panel. I found this on the IDEXX US site.

Diarrhea RealPCR™ Panel (Comprehensive)- Feline(2627)
Campylobacter coli, Campylobacter jejuni, Clostridium perfringens alpha toxin (CPA) gene Quant, Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin (CPE) gene Quant, Cryptosporidium spp., feline coronavirus (FeCoV), feline panleukopenia virus, Giardia spp., Salmonella spp., Toxoplasma gondii, and Tritrichomonas blagburni (formerly foetus) RealPCR™ tests. Includes quantification of Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin (CPA and CPE) genes if PCR positive.

1-3 working days | 5 g (1 g minimum) fresh feces in a sterile container; keep refrigerated. Collect specimen prior to antibiotic administration.

Tests and services - IDEXX US

NORAD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can’t add anything to what might be causing the diarrhea, but if you aren’t already, you might want to routinely add a good probiotic to their food, one with Saccharomyces boulardii in it. Fortiflora is okay short-term to try to help diarrhea and to stimulate appetite but as a probiotic, it’s pretty limited. And since you used it and still are having problems, I’d try a better one like Nexabiotic.
Thanks for the advice! I will look into it.

NORAD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's easily diagnosed with the PCR Diarrhea panel. I found this on the IDEXX US site.

Diarrhea RealPCR™ Panel (Comprehensive)- Feline(2627)
Campylobacter coli, Campylobacter jejuni, Clostridium perfringens alpha toxin (CPA) gene Quant, Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin (CPE) gene Quant, Cryptosporidium spp., feline coronavirus (FeCoV), feline panleukopenia virus, Giardia spp., Salmonella spp., Toxoplasma gondii, and Tritrichomonas blagburni (formerly foetus) RealPCR™ tests. Includes quantification of Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin (CPA and CPE) genes if PCR positive.

1-3 working days | 5 g (1 g minimum) fresh feces in a sterile container; keep refrigerated. Collect specimen prior to antibiotic administration.

Tests and services - IDEXX US
Ok, thank you! I will ask my vet.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our vet refers to the gut as "the stress reactor."
If no lab findings for any of the suggestions above, there's something called DIAGEL which doesn't require a prescription and works amazingly for diarrhea cause by stress. It has no side effects that we've experienced, and in the case of our new cat Nougat, when we tried *all the above*^ plus tests after tests at the vet ($$!) and despite the makers of Diagel disclaimer that it is not for long term manifestations of diarrhea, this was the thing that has made all the difference. One dose two month ago, after five months of on-and off soft stools, and we have seen nothing but normal stools. It was a Hail Mary for us, that against expectations worked really well. Maybe it's something to try.
Good luck!

NORAD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vet refers to the gut as "the stress reactor."
If no lab findings for any of the suggestions above, there's something called DIAGEL which doesn't require a prescription and works amazingly for diarrhea cause by stress. It has no side effects that we've experienced, and in the case of our new cat Nougat, when we tried *all the above*^ plus tests after tests at the vet ($$!) and despite the makers of Diagel disclaimer that it is not for long term manifestations of diarrhea, this was the thing that has made all the difference. One dose two month ago, after five months of on-and off soft stools, and we have seen nothing but normal stools. It was a Hail Mary for us, that against expectations worked really well. Maybe it's something to try.
Good luck!
Thanks for the tip! I will def look into it.