Chronic Constipation... Please any advice.

Nepipo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone! My name is Nikko and today I need some help with my cat Aida. She is a 14 year old domestic short hair calico and she is having a hard time pooping.

My cat Aida got so constipated she had to be hospitalized (6/11/21). Her Colon was twice the size it should've been and she couldn't poop. They kept her for three days where they gave her nutrients and fluids through her nose to soften the compacted poop in her. Eventually, it did soften enough and she had diarrhea and they were able to get the rest out with an enema. She came back home and her first couple of days she was happy and eating and walking around. She had very wet poop her first day back, but at least I knew she got it all out. The vet gave me a high fiber diet and I mix it with a 1/2 tsp of Miralax twice a day. She is also receiving cisapride twice a day 15 minutes before meals. She is not pooping. She is now hiding again and only coming out for meals (eating less now), peeing, and drinking. She will be seen tomorrow for another x-ray, but I need some advice. She does have arthritis in her lower back that hurts her when she assumes the position when she attempts to poop. I also found poop outside her litterbox which makes me believe the theory that her lower back hurts too much to poop. Any kind of tips or theories would be appreciated. If you have any more questions I will be on stand-by to answer them.
Thanks!

SwissMiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a thought - maybe she could be given pain meds for her arthritis (that aren't opiates which are known to cause constipation). Maybe if she was on a pain med she'd be more comfortable doing her business in the litter box. Maybe something to ask her vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nepipo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a thought - maybe she could be given pain meds for her arthritis (that aren't opiates which are known to cause constipation). Maybe if she was on a pain med she'd be more comfortable doing her business in the litter box. Maybe something to ask her vet?
I completely agree, it will be brought up in the conversation tomorrow. It initially was, but they wanted to make sure she was eating properly before they added a new med to her regimen. Thank you for your input, they were able to show me on the x-ray where she was having her pain. I think it has to be a contributor. Especially with the poop outside the litterbox not even close to it.

Laroo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't help with the bathroom issues, but I wanted to say that my cat was given a prescription for Gabapentin and it seems to work pretty well when I give to her. I only give it to her every few days, and only a very small amount (2.5 mL) partly because she hates pain meds, and also because of her kidney disease. I think it takes longer for her body to filter medications out. The Gabapentin does help a lot though and does not cause constipation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nepipo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't help with the bathroom issues, but I wanted to say that my cat was given a prescription for Gabapentin and it seems to work pretty well when I give to her. I only give it to her every few days, and only a very small amount (2.5 mL) partly because she hates pain meds, and also because of her kidney disease. I think it takes longer for her body to filter medications out. The Gabapentin does help a lot though and does not cause constipation.
This is exactly what I'm going to ask for because of the warning of affecting the kidneys from other pain meds. I'm so happy the meds help with your girl. Thank you!