Chronic Constipation 911

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My little catniss is an inconvenient kitty with manx syndrome (nerve damage from spinal defects) she every few months gets severely constipated and I have to wait a week or so and squeeze it out after I exhaust all other options. I decided to take her to a vet yesterday (we aren't at home so we had to go to a new one). They have her 2 enemas and kept her 5 hrs. I advised them it wouldn't work beforehand. Well she was fine I even have a video of her bouncing around right before exam, when I picked her up she was lethargic. She immediately went to the the water bowl and drank so much she puked. She then went back again where I would make her stop and start again. No more puke. She leaked blood, then some blood mixed with watery poo. Squeezing did nothing and she has blood from her vagina. This morning she was still lethargic (I di give her some CBD with thc for cats last night for pain) she wouldn't come, wont eat, wont drink and is now peeing blood. Shes still impacted and no real poop has come out. What do I do? Take her to the same vet? Go to another 1? Should I worry about dehydration? They didnt give any fluid. I will pay for colon removal surgery if I need but I want to try and clear her if she can be. I'm worried and kinda lost up here away from home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
20181129_131613.jpg
20181127_202721.jpg
this is kitty catniss katerdeen

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for kitty and you. She's so pretty! I would find another vet and take her ASAP. There is nothing you told me about this last vet that would give me reason to believe he/she deserves a second chance. You could ask for her records from this newest vet before you do(especially if there was any blood work done), but you seem knowledgeable enough to relay all relevant data to another new vet.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I panicked and took her back. I told them give fluids now, she is dehydrated. They did a u.a. found crystals for sure, wasnt done, want to do another only water enema, giving her lactulose, I told them I wanted bloodwork done and wanted diabetes ruled out as well. This town has the worst vets ever! I've been to 3, 1 didnt tell me the cats right age, the next opened an already spayed cat up to check after they saw the scar (same kitty as the age) now this with catniss. Its ridiculous and they r all expensive for nothing

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my. At least she is getting hydrated, that is also very important, and could help at least a little with the constipation. What about the bleeding from the vagina - did they say nothing?? The blood in the pee can be from crystals, as I am sure you already know.

I don't know where you live - or where you are right now - but is there a vet university nearby? They may be better, but who knows. Also, check for cat only vets.

Keep hanging in there - Catniss has a marvelous owner!!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm in Omaha Nebraska. We picked them because they had good reviews and claim to be a mostly holistic vet (yeah right with the corn food they want me to feed her). I didnt even think of using a university. I bet they do because they have that 1 big college here. If she still hasn't went and is having problems when i get her I'll try that for sure! She would be a great learning exper

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Experience too being shes got the problems. Sorry my blind deaf dog apparently thought I needed to hit post lol. They just said with the bleeding they wanted a sample which they wanted to use a tube for (I wanted to just Express it but they refused). Yeah it could be from Crystal's however when I went to squeeze her bowel to try and fix her problem that happened and it was bright red. All I can think is they better not have poked a hole!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They called. Shes having kidney failure, a UTI, liver failure, either fiv+ or lymphoma (checking for fiv now which when I got her said she was negative but no paperwork proving it) if not check again in 2 weeks, had lactulose and subcutaneous fluids already, giving an iv now with more fluids, said her poop isn't hard theu dont think so going to try and get that out in the next 30 minutes, I asked them to give her a b12 shot and I think that ends our terrible list.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh no. Where is the lymphoma coming from? Are they testing her poop, is that where they think it is at? Why kidney and liver failure - from what? I am not a vet, but those could be because all of her electrolytes are completely out of whack from the dehydration/bleeding. I wish I could help more. All I can do is be here for moral support, and hope others on this site will do as well.

Keep us posted please.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will. It's from the bloodwork I asked for. They said if her fluids get back right it could even out the kidney and liver. The lymph something or another white blood count was high she said fiv lymphoma or sometimes it just raises and will lower. Doing a combo test which if its fiv we r fine with that. The poop hasn't come out,said she would be taking her out right after we got off the phone to try. This kitty is half my world, I'm having a breakdown. Said she could have kidney disease, and liver disease and I know i know what all this means but the brain isn't working so I'm at a loss.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The fluids could definitely correct the kidney and liver counts, for sure. Again, not a vet but, white blood count can be elevated by infection (UTI) and even dehydration. Hopefully, the combo test will rule out both FIV and lymphoma. :crossfingers:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We went on a long outing where the vet said she should be fine. Got fluids antibiotics and lactulose. Checked her lymphnodes said nothing seemed strange. Go back in 2 weeks for bloodwork unless we dont fully clear the bowel in the next week then she goes back in a week. Said it is pretty much all from the dehydration and its throwing her all out of whack. She was cleared out, now we have quite a bit back so have to continue squeezing her for a few days again til ot starts on it's own. I'm so angry more at myself for letting them dupe me like that