Chrondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, Hyaluronic Acid supplements - Can these cause kidney problems

Candyblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Manx 13 year old cat has some arthritis and vet had me try Dasuquin of which she wouldn't eat, and then Cosequin. When I put her on the Cosequin her pee diminished alot with each day that went by. Took her off of it and got a liquid joint supplement with natural ingredients but still had the Chrondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, HA. After two months on it I am seeing her pee diminishing again so I took her off of it and her pee improved. What can I give her for arthritis that doesn't have these ingredients in them?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d just try fish oil. Nordic Naturals has a cat-specific fish oil that’s highly recommended :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you noted 'HA' as part of the ingredients, are you referring to hyaluronic acid? That is not an actual ingredient, but these products aid in the formation of hyaluronic acid which helps in the lubrication of joints. It also helps to reduce inflammation, which leads me to my next question.

When you say your cat's urination diminishes while on these products, is it less frequent or less amount, or both? The reason I ask is because these products are supposed to have an anti-inflammatory effect, it could be aiding in whatever is making your cat pee more when not taking it. Chondrotin on the other hand helps to maintain elasticity of bone cartilage by helping it to retain water. Too much water in your cat's case?? Maybe too large of a dose?

All that said, if you have done regular senior vet exams that include applicable blood work, including being monitored for kidney disease, diabetes, etc. this could be an anomaly. But I would rule out potential issues if she hasn't had a recent senior exam. It is rather odd for these products to produce the results you are seeing. At a minimum, ask your vet about this aspect.

Beyond that, there is also an injection - Adequan - that is given to aid with joint support. It does contain an element related to glucosamine, but perhaps as an injection it might not have the same effect as oral products? Although, it might, if there is an underlying issue in your cat's case.

How To Find the Best Joint Supplements for Cats | PetMD
Adequan® (Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan) | PetMD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candyblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you noted 'HA' as part of the ingredients, are you referring to hyaluronic acid? That is not an actual ingredient, but these products aid in the formation of hyaluronic acid which helps in the lubrication of joints. It also helps to reduce inflammation, which leads me to my next question.

When you say your cat's urination diminishes while on these products, is it less frequent or less amount, or both? The reason I ask is because these products are supposed to have an anti-inflammatory effect, it could be aiding in whatever is making your cat pee more when not taking it. Chondrotin on the other hand helps to maintain elasticity of bone cartilage by helping it to retain water. Too much water in your cat's case?? Maybe too large of a dose?

All that said, if you have done regular senior vet exams that include applicable blood work, including being monitored for kidney disease, diabetes, etc. this could be an anomaly. But I would rule out potential issues if she hasn't had a recent senior exam. It is rather odd for these products to produce the results you are seeing. At a minimum, ask your vet about this aspect.

Beyond that, there is also an injection - Adequan - that is given to aid with joint support. It does contain an element related to glucosamine, but perhaps as an injection it might not have the same effect as oral products? Although, it might, if there is an underlying issue in your cat's case.

How To Find the Best Joint Supplements for Cats | PetMD
Adequan® (Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan) | PetMD
She usually pees two time each day (she is a very regulated kitty) and when on the supplements that amount of pee was less than when not on them. I did speak with her vet today and she reiterated the same info you gave me of which I am go grateful. So we agreed to put her back on cosequin capsule (break it open and put powder in her food) and see how she does. I can remember when I had horses using the Adequan shots for my mares that were pretty stiff and it worked wonders. Thanks so much for your help! This is the first time I have posted on a cat site and I am so happy to get swift answers!