Christmas Trees

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't decorate the bottom of the tree until it's a foot from the floor, the tree is fake because my boys will probably spray it, it's not higher than 5 foot so it's not as appealing to scale and conquer, and everything on it is paper or plastic.
The tree might have fallen over once in 9 years from a case of zoomies or something.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few things about cats and Christmas tress:

In my experience you only have to worry about kittens - teen cats climbing Christmas trees. I think it has to do with the weight of the cat and size of the tree. I'm hoping to get a tree for the pictures before the foster kittens find their forever home (yes just for the cute tree climbing pictures!)

Tinsel and other dangers should be avoided!

I like to keep paper or plastic ornaments on the bottom two feet. 3 feet if little kids are involved. If you have wee kittens maybe hold off on lights and ornaments until Christmas eve (and keep the kittens in a room away from the decorated tree.)

I never had an issue with cats drinking tree water. I use a tree skirt and presents are put out early to weigh it down.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all the advice in this thread! I've been worrying about how my two 7-month-olds will handle our tree.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This will be our first Christmas tree with the cats. Didn't have the energy last year. We plan on putting up a bare, prelit tree and hoping for the best, or at least some good pictures

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a little artificial tree, maybe 4 feet tall that I put on an end table. It had been put in a pot as a seasonal outdoor decoration. I retrofitted it with an old, very heavy cast iron flag stand that I found. It is anchored with a wire to a screw eye into the studding in the corner of the room. I use plastic decorations on the lower branches.

That has been adequate for the past couple years. About the only thing I've had happen is to find a decoration on the floor in the morning, but I have added a new kitten to the clowder this season. Are there any other suggestions you could make?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve never had a cat that tried to climb the tree, but all of them have made it their mission to undecorate it as high as they can reach. It brings them such joy so who am I to deny them their holiday fun? Every ornament on the lower branches is unbreakable. Every morning I put them all back up again.

Max, who crossed the Bridge in 2017, liked to chew on the branches. He knew he wasn’t supposed to and he’d saunter over to the tree, look at me out of the corner of his eye, and begin to chew. “Hey!” I’d say. “What?” said Mr. Innocent. “It slipped into my mouth.” I just had to watch him.

Iris tried to chew on the new tree (artificial) last year for the first time in 13 years. She’d go behind the tree and chew at the back. I put double-sided tape on a small rug and kept it back there. She wouldn’t walk on the tape. This year I might try marbles on cookie sheets and put them around the base of the tree.

When Iris and Lily were kittens, the biggest problem I had was that they wanted to chew all of the ribbons on the packages. I finally had to take the ribbons off because I was worried they’d swallow them.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I've had trees many times. The cats like to sleep under the branches mostly. I don't use tinsel or garlands. We use regular lights and have plastc or wooden ornaments. So far we have not had any issues with the tree. We stopped getting a tree onl because of the mess they make and I have limited room for the tv. The tree blocks the tree and I just didnt want to deal with pine needles all over the place. Plus we keep it pretty warm in here. Trees do best when it's 50 to 60ish then they don't drop needles as fast. My angel Floey used to drink out of the water reservoir even if we covered it up. :rolleyes3: My vet didn't seem concerned about this. Just said don't let her eat the needles. Luckily she tried a few bites but the sap made her get this look on her face so she never did that again. Out of all the cats I have had she's the only one who was a troublemaker. None of the other cats tried to climb it either. They would bat at the ornaments at the bottom but we used cat friendly ornaments so they could play to their hearts content...wooden ornaments are great for them. They don't break and they handle punting around the room.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry is this is in the wrong spot, but I wasn’t sure where to post it.

This is our first Christmas with a cat! We normally get a real tree and then I realized that may not be safe. Any advice on getting a real Christmas tree or not?

If it helps we don’t have a large house and our cat has free reign of it, so she will be where are tree will be.

Thanks!
I was attempting to put up our Christmas tree, and our cat Cuppy could not resist getting involved.
20181123_151225.jpg

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I've always had a real tree, every year. The family cat growing up didn't seem to have a problem, other than the occasional ornament swipe, other cats I've lived with didn't seem to have much of a problem, and my senior kitty who passed away this summer was super well behaved and never bothered a tree, with the exception of trying to drink the water.

I have 2 kittens now, and kittenhood has been a major adjustment with all kinds of new learning experiences (for better or worse). I want to get a tree again this year (maybe left un-decorated, and smaller), but I'm a bit apprehensive with these particular cats.

I expect there to be some exploration, but one kitten in particular is a bit of a challenge, for me. He has one eye, which is not sealed, so I'm a little concerned for his ocular safety. He also loves to get in everything, all the time, and has a great fondness for leaves, sticks, and bark. I am starting to think that a tree would be a literal kitty Xmas for him, and not in a good way. Then again, he could surprise me and leave it alone, but I simply do not trust him. He's very scent oriented, but I'm not sure if certain scents would intrigue or repel him. So far in other aspects, nothing I've done has been able to squash his sense of adventure, and I doubt I'd win any battles now.

Does anyone have any experience or tips for a kitten's first Xmas? I'd really hate to not have a real tree this year, as it's really the only tradition I've ever kept up with.