Christmas Tree Defender

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a nice idea, but there's a glitch in the premise. The narrator said cats were very smart they never climbed things that wouldn't support their weight. I beg to differ. Think cats going straight up that a small tree until the top bends under their weight, or the horrifyingly tall pine to the tiny branches, or the coat hangers holding the clothes hanging in the closet. Anyone ever get a shredded dress, shirt...?

I did like the videos.

Practically speaking the tree defender appears to be made of light plastic, well within the ability of a determined cat to chew through.
Though chewing the defender would give you a few more days of the tree remaining standing. I get the image of a cat pushing its head through one of the larger squares in the defender, panicking and running persuade by the tree. That's a bit more excitement than I want.

I was hopeful when I clicked. maybe I've seen too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kirochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking along the same lines as all of you who replied, although I wanted to think it would work - I haven't put a tree up since I adopted my two wee mongrels two years ago Tuesday. I did come across a photo of a tree inside a china cabinet, which I may try out next year. But for this year, I'll do without.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking along the same lines as all of you who replied, although I wanted to think it would work - I haven't put a tree up since I adopted my two wee mongrels two years ago Tuesday. I did come across a photo of a tree inside a china cabinet, which I may try out next year. But for this year, I'll do without.
At two your cats should be slowing down so I would try a tree with just a few cat proof ornaments. After the novelty wears off they probably won’t do more than bat at ornaments.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try it without the lights. The lights are temptation personified. They appear to be moving over the tree and they have THE BEST CHEWING CORDS EVER!

And bouncable ornaments. (Bouncable does not seem to be a word for some reason.)

And anchor your tree with guy wires to studs in the wall or the window sills if they were put on with nails and screws, unlike some I could mention that were #^$^% glued to the wall.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a nice idea, but I don't see it working for my cats. I think tree safety is partly defined by the cat's temperament. I've had cats for 36 years now (I started young ;) ), and we've never had an issue with tree climbing....until last year. I have a pair of hyperactive, intelligent, inquisitive Russian Blues, and we didn't even dare try them with a tree last Chistmas. It wouldn't have lasted two minutes! They were around 9 months then.

This year, we're trying a small, potted, living tree in a bigger planter, and will be weighing the thing down with as many rocks and stones as we can....after covering the tree itself in anti-chew spray VERY thoroughly. I'm also going to provide plenty of kitty grass to give them a safe way to chew some greens.

With ornaments, I'm going for cat safe rather than cat proof (ie none of the ornaments will hurt the cats, but some may be hurt BY the cats). I'm ok with a few wrecked ornaments, so long as no feline is harmed in the process.

Check out these articles for tactics and more ideas:
17+ Ideas For Cat-safe Holiday Decoration (an Illustrated Guide)
Cats And Christmas Trees
Cats And Christmas - Tips For Cat Owners

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What anti=chew spray did you use? The last time we tried it, we all fled. Dogs and people to the yard, cats to the basement. I think that one worked on the stink.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! I can't believe this exists! I really need to start patenting my ideas!! Although my "product" does work, but it works because I made it to suit MY cats.
So the premise of the "tree defender" (I think anyway, I did not put the volume on and the video was not very descriptive or show that it worked.) is it puts a barrier under the tree to stop them from climbing up from underneath. I made a barrier for my tree with solid coroplast (it looks like cardboard but made of plastic). It was just a simple circle with a hole cut in the center that I mounted under the tree to keep the cats from chewing on the branches and bulbs. It worked for me as my cats weren't interested in jumping into the tree or climbing up. But I think it would have worked for a cat who wanted to climb up from the bottom as well.
So, I guess it "could work" but the grid design still allows for the cat to be interested in the branches and lights because they can still see and access them thru the holes. And if they are still interested, they will try to find a way. Some cats a determined little buggers!!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What anti=chew spray did you use? The last time we tried it, we all fled. Dogs and people to the yard, cats to the basement. I think that one worked on the stink.
I think it's Johnson's Anti Chew Training Spray
Johnsons Anti-Chew Training Spray Dog 150ml We do it outside or in the kitchen, to make sure the tree is treated before the furkids see it (Asha's a terror for chewing any kind of greenery). It doesn't stink the place out, though you can smell it a little while actually spraying the tree.