Christmas cacti vs Thanksgiving cacti

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are going crazy right now. I have them in a north window at work, and they love it there. If I take them home they get sad :(. Not enough light I guess. I also have a couple Easter cacti but I just bought them this year so I don't know when they'll bloom naturally.

I think almost all the "Christmas" cacti I've seen must be Thanksgiving cacti. I don't think I've ever seen one with that kind of leaves.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is mine. Not even sure if it's healthy.
It looks healthy with all those green leaves! What kind of light does it get?

I have them in a north window at work, and they love it there.
Mine are in a north facing room as well, and I pretty much ignore them, other than watering them when I notice their leaves looking droopy, and they still bloom every year, and usually in November.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the Thanksgiving thing. I have one flowering cactus. Last year, it didn't start budding until after Christmas and was still going at Easter. This year, the thing started blooming in October and is now fading. It's not going to make it to Christmas.

The shorter days of fall and winter trigger the blooming, so artificial light can really mess it up. That must be what happened to mine.

W Willowy - That pink/white one is just gorgeous. I've never seen one that color before.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My Christmas cactus has to be going on 70 years old now. It belonged to my grandmother, who gave it to my mother, who then gave it to me. I had it at work, in a south-facing window with full sun and it bloomed like crazy. I always got 3 blooming periods: usually around the end of October into November, then mid-December into January, then a very brief blooming period in February. I don't feed it, but maybe I should since it blooms so often. It's such a pretty pink color.

Since I took it home to the shed, it's not been doing well. I doubt I'll get the February bloom as it's really had quite a shock, being taken out into the cold from the office to my shed, and now it's not getting the light that it got at work. But we'll see. I've been trying to baby it along a bit. This summer, I can put it outside on the shed deck for extra light.

Mom could never get the thing to bloom. It had scads of flowers for my grandmother, but as soon as Mom took it, it stopped blooming. She got so disgusted with it that she threw it outside. Then she felt sorry for it and brought it back into the house and kept it for years, even though it wouldn't bloom. One year, her caregiver took it home with her and set it in a sunny spot and it started blooming like crazy. Gave it back to Mom and it stopped blooming again. For some reason, that cactus did not like Mom!

I have some pictures somewhere and will look for them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I've never seen one blooming that much!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's an "Easter" cactus. They have spikier flowers.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How interesting! I've always called this plant a Christmas cactus but I think it may be an Easter cactus. This is mine:

IMG_2495.jpeg
Beautiful. And definitely different than the Thanksgiving/Christmas blooms.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy - I found one of those pink/white cacti at the grocery store today for $4! I feel so lucky! It's got the red cactus mixed in, too, just like yours. :woohoo: