Chosing an appropriate harness

mirjana vidovic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I am a proud owner of a family favourite 6yo domestic male cat. We have not walked him on a harness so far, and I am looking to get him one. There has been some discussion as to the types of harnesses that best suit a cat, it seems that it might be easier for them to get out of some, opposing the other. What are your experiences with harnesses and have you ever been in a situation where your kitty was about to split?

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!   I found your question interesting because I have been thinking about this subject recently in anticipation of the good weather!  My cat is 2+ years, female siamese calico.  In spring/summer of 2013, I tried to train her to walk with a harness- no success that year.  I think because I did not have patience and would tug on the leash.  In spring of 2014, I would leave her harness around so she could get used to it, and this time, had a lot of patience, and just let her sit many times with the harness.  No tugging, just waiting.  Next, I would take a step nearer to the door.  One day, she went toward the door and outside, and that was the beginning of our taking nice adventures outside together!  Now, she gets excited when I put her harness on.

Yes, a couple of times she did wiggle out of the harness because she was trying to chase a bird or chipmunk.  The harness I have is too thin, and more like straps.  This year, I will be looking for something like a vest-harness, because I don't think she could wiggle out of a vest and may be more comfortable if she should tug on it.   I wish you all the best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirjana vidovic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
raysmyheart, it is lovely to hear about your experience! We did teach him to walk on a harness when he was just a kitty, but did not go outside, since he was terribly frightened of new sounds and traffic (which is very thick in the area I live in). My thoughts are that the harness with thin straps probably is easy to slip out of. I am trying to decide if the design that fits better for a cat is the one with fabric between his front legs or without. There are so many models and one can see them all used (probably efficiently), but I always want to make sure there are no mistakes when it comes to him :)

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, in the front of my house it is very heavy with traffic also and my cat will be frightened of the truck sounds, so luckily, my house in back is a wooded area where I can go with her.  I guess I am wondering too, if the harness with the fabric between the front legs is a good option for Speedy.  I will be interested to learn what you find.  Your cat sounds like a special companion and I will be interested in following this subject.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
There are a few harnesses in our review section, but only one with a review, unfortunately (if you do find one you like, do let us know!).

I use a fullish one with Sundar.  Initially he just kept falling over, as they do..
  But gradually he has become used to it.   I prefer the fuller one as I feel the strappy ones can cut in a little, and I can hold him so securely in mine.  Also I think he feels more secure.  Mine doesn't have fabric between the front legs.. it really doesn't need it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirjana vidovic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ryan is beautiful! He really seems content too. Mani, I will try the thick one without the leggy part and let you guys know how it went! I'm super excited :D

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kitty holster.  google it.  i love it, my cats don't always.  i bought it for jake and he's really just scared of it.  samantha doesn't mind it but isn't as interested in 'walking' as she is 'lying on the patio and staring at birds'.  

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a Premier harness & liked because it came with a very soft leash & fit well.  My cat was 6 when I started taking him out.  No training at all.  He had never been out before & just loved it.  Loved it so much that he begged to go out every day.  He would almost always talk me into it.  Beware of this; it is very time consuming!!

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PS:  In the US their is a GPS tracking system you can put on your cat in case he gets away.  You can see him on your computer or mobile phone.