Choosing a New Kitten

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all: I have the pleasure of being very close to adopting a 6 1/2 mo old male kitten. I have Purry a 2 1/2 yo spayed female at home. I’m hoping the new kitten will be a playmate for Purry who has much energy and playfulness. He is from an animal rescue organization and is in foster care now.

Is there anything I should beware of when I meet the kitten again tomorrow? He is not neutered (but I will get it done). He is semi-friendly. His backstory is he was rescued from a “kill” animal shelter in California, with 2 other siblings. They must have been driven/flown to Victoria, BC, where we live now. They we’re emaciated when they arrived. That would be a very scary ride for them, and a long one. He looks healthy now, but I can still feel his hipbones when I pet him. He has big feet. When I met the kitten he eventually did come out for treats and for laser play. He seemed to like to play a lot. I took this as a good sign.

It’s such a hard decision to make because he will be with me for 20+ years. I don’t want to make a mistake. It will, of course, all depend on if Purry likes him. He is a little smaller than her — she’s only 6 1/2 lbs. Any comments or things to watch for would be appreciated. I’m excited! Isn’t he cute?!
BBABC823-2A92-4427-9811-DB6514DFFD99.jpeg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was a rescue off the street? How long has the kitten been at the foster? Takes some time for them to really show their personality.

Although, truthfully, with any kitten, its kind of a leap of faith. There is really no great way to know what they will be like in your home in a couple of weeks. Pretty good odds of eventually being friends with a playful 2 1/2 yr old if you take it slow, but there is no such thing as a guarranty unless your talking two kittens.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten’s background is sketchy. I’m thinking he was from off the street, since he was so skinny. I liked the post about making the wire closet racks into a temporary gate. I’ll see how it goes and may try that. Thanks for your advice.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing wrong with a kitten rescued off the street if the vet check comes back clean. They mostly end up as confident and affectionate as other cats. At some point, a cat rescued off the street that has only lived on the street (i.e. a feral cat) does become a bit harder and more challenging, but most likely a 6 1/2 month old is young enough that you hopefully shouldn't have major issues apart from the normal introduction difficulties. I mean, there are never guarranties, there is always a random element, but I think you'll be fine.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely he's cute. The only thing I would say is take it slowly and don't rush them, and I think they'll be fine. Remember he'll be scared, new place new people and Purry might not be impressed with him at first but with time will warm to him. My boy was very displeased when he got a new buddy but now they are best buds.