Cholesterol Tests. You ever had one?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bikeman

Today's BP 107/70. Pulse much lower. Blood taken and will get results of all heart-health related indicators in a couple days. Also had an EKG (those only cost $40? - WOW!). Doctor thinks its something vascular or heart related something or other based on my stories and Q:A. Wants me to take a stress test followed by an immediate Echo imaging. That will be discussed following results of the bloodwork. But that's a LOT more money. They were kind today with the bill. I've had one of the cats in for half hour for much more $$, and they had me there today 1.5 hours.

EKG showed a small abberation. (He also mentioned 10% of the population has what he saw - not to be alarmed over it, so I'm not). He's sending the 10-second trace to a cardiologist to see if it may warrant further readings. Question - 10 seconds? They can't tell much in that small amount of time, can they? (like if I'm alive or not).

So this story will continue later.
Your blood pressure is a bit on the low side but many have that range of pressure. The number they use to compare "normal" is 120/80. But that is just a number they have decided to use as a measuring stick to determine high or low pressures. "Normal" for me is about 140/85 or 90. While it may be considered "high", each person has a normal that their body is comfortable with, and that's mine.

I'm glad that you are getting checked out.

As someone who works in the healthcare system (Canada) with a socialized healthcare system in place, I can't help but abhore the way the USA treats their citizens. They seem to have billions to throw away for war efforts, but they can't put some of their money into a healthcare system that provides basic healthcare needs to it's own citizens!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRR!!!!!!! Don't get me started on that!!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I can't help but abhore the way the USA treats their citizens. They seem to have billions to throw away for war efforts, but they can't put some of their money into a healthcare system that provides basic healthcare needs to it's own citizens!
Amen, sister! We have carried capitalism to a dangerous and inhumane extreme, and we apply it in areas where it doesn't belong at all -- healthcare foremost among them.

And it's getting even worse under the current administration. Bikeman mentioned the heart programs that were cut, and just today my parents got a notice that, though they have both Medicare and Tricare (the latter being the best available program for retired military), they will now have to pay about three times as much for their prescriptions as they used to.

My dearest friend works for the American Cancer Society, and he hears horror stories every day from people who cannot get the lifesaving treatment they need because their insurance company is stalling them, withholding approvals, hoping the patient will just go ahead and die and save them the money. And those are the lucky ones, who have insurance!

I don't understand it. I grew up so in love with my country, so proud of its principles... but in my lifetime, many of those principles have been compromised into near-oblivion. America has traditionally been a global champion of human rights -- but is there any more fundamental human right than simply being cared for when you're ill?

I know that Canada's healthcare system isn't perfect -- but it's far, far more humane than the totally profit-driven system here in the US. I hope and pray we will soon begin to follow Canada's example... maybe right around January 2009...

Thanks for creating an opportunity to rant about this, Bikeman. I surely hope they can quickly find -- and fix -- what's causing your symptoms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bloodwork came back today.

HDL (good cholesterol) level was 56. 60 or greater is good and helps fight heart disease. 40 or lower is bad.

LDL (bad cholesterol) level was 101. 100 or less is optimal. So this is excellent.

Triglyceride level was 108. Below 150 is normal. 108 is excellent.

Blood sugar was 90. I don't know what the scale limits are on this but I was told 90 is good.

So..... No markers yet for a direction to go. He recommends a stress test with prolonged EKG and an Echo. Bucks. Big bucks.

I am thrilled the cholesterol and other indicator levels are great, but that doesn't tell me what's up. There is not enough oxygen getting to my brain. So what's the problem? An anemic condition? I wasn't told if they had a blood count for red/white. I should get the full results in the mail in a day or two.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bikeman

So..... No markers yet for a direction to go. He recommends a stress test with prolonged EKG and an Echo. Bucks. Big bucks.

I am thrilled the cholesterol and other indicator levels are great, but that doesn't tell me what's up. There is not enough oxygen getting to my brain. So what's the problem? An anemic condition? I wasn't told if they had a blood count for red/white. I should get the full results in the mail in a day or two.
You asked before if 10 seconds of an ekg could tell them anything. I would think so, since what it shows if your heart is beating as it should...it can show arrthymias for one, and a heart not beating properly can certainly give you episodes of faintness etc.

Here is a good site that explains what an ekg measures etc.
http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/tu6256abc.asp

So long as they did a cbc (complete blood count) when you get those results, an anemia will show up in the HCT (hematocrit) and HGB (hemaglobin) results.

I hope you can proceed with the stress test and echo, sounds prudent to me.