Choking? Indigestion?

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
came home tonight to find my cat doing this weird thing where he occasionally sticks his neck out then swallows with his eyes closed. He ate some kibble but seems upset. Like maybe something’s stuck? It’s that time of year that they shed terribly, so maybe it’s just a hairball.
Maybe it’s somethung worse though?
I listened close and his tummy sounded all rumbly

I know it’s vague but any thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, what's happeng now? If it's still going on I'd take him in, at the least get a video and send that to your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom
Took him in as soon as his vet opened. She looked him over and he seemed ok other than the obvious. She told me it was a good sign that he wanted to eat this morning (but I was afraid to let him).
She did an X-ray and found no obstructions, and thought maybe he just ate something that upset his tummy bad. But then she kinda pressed on his throat and every time she did he’d swallow hard again. She said that shouldn’t be happening so she’s going to sedate him this afternoon and check behind his soft palate(?) to see if something is stuck there, like a long blade of grass that would cause him to be swallowing like that.
So now, I wait until she calls. If she finds nothing, she said we’ll assume it’s a really upset, nauseated little fur buddy.
Kinda hope she finds grass so there will something definitive and easy.
Fingers crossed here.
Thanks for your response.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom duckpond duckpond
Just heard from the vet. They sedated him and found a long blade of grass stuck in his palate. Pulled it out and I can go pick him up in a few hours.
Glad it was so simple- but sad something so simple causes so much distress
Thanks for your concern! ❤