Chocolate And Cats

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My niece posted a photo on facebook of her cat taking a lick from a chocolate ice cream bar. I attached her photo to this post.

The following is a response from someone, after I commented to my niece’s photo, saying it wasn’t a good idea to give her cat chocolate.

“Most vets will tell you that real chocolate or very little is in chocolate bars and snacks today. Unless it specifies the amount of chocolate I wouldn't worry too much about a lick off an ice cream bar.
One of my kids rushed their dog to the vet because it ate a chocolate bar and the vet told them not to worry, that most stuff like that is artificially flavored today with little chocolate. Now they are labeling bars of dark chocolate with the content”.

Is it true, that “MOST vets” will tell you that real chocolate or very little is in chocolate bars and snacks today... and is artificially flavored chocolate safe and in most snack items, and not too worry?

Would like to hear some thoughts from members of The Cat Site, concerning this. If it were me, I would not give my cats (or any of my pets), chocolate, whether artificially flavored or not. But thats just me, as I’m a worrier.

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry too, and i would not. Plus they don't need the sugar and artificial stuff that is in things like this.

one of mine loves a little real whipping cream if i make it, and i will let him have just a taste. But i would not let him lick anything chocolate, real or not.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog got horribly sick years ago after he got into the Halloween candy while I was at work. I had to rush him to the vet to stop the diarrhea and vomiting, so I know it wasn't artificially flavored.

That said, a lick or two won't matter. Lily washes my ice cream bowl, currently rocky road, with no ill effects.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the sugar content and behavior encouragement. Chocolate isn't as big of a risk for cats as it is for dogs. But the less sugar we add to their system the less risk of diabetes. Behavior wise, it is hard to convince a cat to stop stealing food once they start.

As to the specific comment about the quantity of real chocolate, probably true. But what else is in that then? Chemicals, sugars, or sugar alcohol if it is "sugar free"... All sorts of stuff we shouldn't be eating, let alone our cats.

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love my cats, but I would not want to eat something they had licked :barfgreen:. Real cocoa is very common in foods, it’s not all artificial. But usually not very concentrated unless it’s dark chocolate or cocoa powder. That doesn’t mean you should offer something chocolate flavored to your cat or dog though. It’s not good for them anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate everyone’s input! Thank you! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, a little lick shouldn't hurt although it's probably not a good idea to let them do it too often. Cats rarely consume enough chocolate for it to be toxic, unlike dogs. . .one of my dogs ate an entire 2-pound tin of cocoa mix. . .now that would have been bad! Fortunately I found it not long after she had eaten it and I had to make her vomit so she was fine.