Chlorambucil not working. Help

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 18 year old kitty has been treated successfully for Ibd for two years. She started losing weight again very gradually several months ago. She loses about a quarter pound a month. She lost weight before treated for Ibd but had been stable.her vet has treated her all her life and started her on chorambucil along with the budesonide she has been on. It is not helping at all and I am beside myself. She is getting very skinny and it is breaking my heart. She will have an ultrasound next week. Has anyone had failure with chlorambucil and what did you do? I was hopeful because I have read it helps most kitties. I would be very appreciative for any information or guidance. She has had all blood work and everything is normal and she is on B12 shots.. thank you.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry this is happening to your kitty.

My own cat took several weeks to respond to the Chlorambucil. Are you doing it 3 times a week? I also give my cat Cereniaa couple of hours before the Chlorambucil.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't answer anything specific to chlorambucil, but wondered how well she is eating? If not great, you could ask the vet about adding an appetite stimulant (along with an anti-nausea med as mentioned above) to see if that helps her to take in more calories and at least slow down, if not stop, the weight loss. Mirataz (transdermal ear ointment form of Mirtazapine) might be easier to deal with since you only need to rub it into the upper inner part of her ear.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My Chelsea was on chlorambucil for about a year and a half for GI lymphoma. If you just started it, which is what I think you are asking, I agree that it might need a chance to work. Sorry if I am misinterpreting your time frame.