Chin staining & cat acne

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, the cat I recently took in is black and white - it's the first time I've had a cat with a white face and have noticed her chin is always stained brown - I'm assuming from the food? She also has mild chin acne so once or twice a day I have been giving it a bit of a clean with a cotton ball soaked with warm water. Is there something better I could be doing? All my previous cats were darker colours so I had never noticed their chin before...... Thanks!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The staining could be from the acne. What are you feeding her, and what kind of dishes do you use? Glass or stainless steel bowls seem to be better because plastic tends to hold bacteria which is what caused the acne. Some people also say that ceramic dishes are not good because if the glaze is cracked it can also harbor bacteria.

Three of my cats have white chins and I never see any dark stains on them. I use stainless steel bowls for water and dry food and ceramic soup bowls for their wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've just changed to stainless steel and ceramic bowls about a month ago so will see if that helps. I was using plastic but she was an outdoor neighbourhood cat previously and who knows how/what other people were feeding her as well. Hopefully she will start to improve soon. Thanks