Chin sore?

ejsmemow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BDD0AE69-2480-42A8-B418-61DD8F784DAA.jpeg

My cat normally has feline acne (I don’t have plastic bowls around) but today I noticed a pretty large red sore (was not exactly a scab but was harder in texture) on her chin.It doesn’t look like one of my other cats scratched her or anything so I’m wondering what it could be?

I do plan on taking her to the vet but also want to know if anyone else has experienced this with their cat. I’m just concerned that taking her to the vet won’t get me a concrete answer and I’ll end up paying lots of money for essentially being given a bunch of trial meds and what not.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s really hard to tell in a photo and honestly, the vet needs to check it. I kind of looks like a small wound.A claw can get hooked in the skin since the outer layer is loose. It can cause more of a hole shape. Hoping it’s nothing but it’s always best to be safe and get it looked at.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Jcatbird Jcatbird about having a vet check it out. If your cat typically scratches at the acne, it is likely she caused this injury to herself due to excessive scratching. If the vet doesn't think it's infected, they can at least prescribe something to help heal the wound - or, you can ask about OTC treatments that would accomplish the same thing.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our cats used to get chin sores that looked a lot like that. In his case, it was from feline acne that got out of hand after he kept scratching at it until it got infected, even though we don't use any plastic bowls or anything like that.

The sores cleared up beautifully with antibiotics. But after we went through several bouts of this, we finally figured out how to keep it from happening in the first place. ;)

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feline acne can also cause sores like that if it gets bad or irritated in some way (like from scratching). Keep it clean and dry, and you can use regular neosporin on it to prevent infection - just make sure you don’t get the kind with any sort of pain relief or numbing agent in it. My kitten had a bad bout of feline acne and that’s what the vet recommended. If they get worse or start to look infected I’d go to the vet.