Chin acne??

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey all. Is this related to his chin acne? It looks like it could be a pimple. I haven't been on cleaning his chin with a toothbrush lately and he does get cat acne there.

This wasn't there yesterday. He lays like this on me frequently. I did notice acne in that spot yesterday.

He doesn't have any pain signs or excessive scratching. He happily let me clean it with saline.

Attachments

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s definitely acne, I have the same challenges with one of mine where it can go up to the corner of his mouth. I have a small flea comb with rounded ends for sensitive skin, and gently comb them out, but it’s an ongoing thing with mine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NekoM NekoM Thanks. We usually clean him with an old toothbrush (boiled after human use). we've neglected it.

Not sure if his acne returned because it's winter or because we changed dish soap.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a medicated cream from your vet that will clear the acne up. I have used it on cats and haven't had a lot of problems with acne coming back.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can get a medicated cream from your vet that will clear the acne up. I have used it on cats and haven't had a lot of problems with acne coming back.
Great to know! He has an appointment in 3 weeks for his wellness. I'll ask about it then. I also sent a photo to the vet but didn't hear back from them today (usually means they aren't worried)

I cleaned it with saline again today and he's really fine with it being cleaned. He's doesn't even squirm the good boy.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What type of food/water dishes do you use? This happened with a couple of our cats when we used plastic. I switched the stainless/ceramic and it eventually cleared up. There are also little antiseptic wipes you can buy to use on it. We got some from our vet, but I've seen them on Chewy too. These aren't the wipes we got from our vet, but I just compared the ingredients and they are exactly the same. Our lady is sassy so when she had the issue, she hardly ever let me wipe her chin. What really cleared it up was when I changed all of her bowls to stainless or ceramic. Since I switched her bowls, the issue has cleared up.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chin acne falls into that “Symptoms with no known origin” chapter, next to the “poorly understood disorder” chapter:flail:

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chin acne falls into that “Symptoms with no known origin” chapter, next to the “poorly understood disorder” chapter:flail:
Oh, I know! But it has worked for me with 3 different cats to change the dishes, so it's worth trying?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What type of food/water dishes do you use? This happened with a couple of our cats when we used plastic. I switched the stainless/ceramic and it eventually cleared up. There are also little antiseptic wipes you can buy to use on it. We got some from our vet, but I've seen them on Chewy too. These aren't the wipes we got from our vet, but I just compared the ingredients and they are exactly the same. Our lady is sassy so when she had the issue, she hardly ever let me wipe her chin. What really cleared it up was when I changed all of her bowls to stainless or ceramic. Since I switched her bowls, the issue has cleared up.
He's using bamboo-plastic ones, which his acne cleared up on last spring. He will not eat from the stainless steel or porcelain ones. He's the least food focused cat I've ever had, and if he doesn't want to eat from somewhere he just flat out won't.

His water dish that he actually uses is a porcelain mug. There's other watering stations available that he doesn't use.

I don't believe Chewy is available in Canada. PetSmart.ca, Ren's Pets and Pet Valu are most readily available to me.

We were using dishsoap from Terra20 but with rising costs, we switched to "whatever the heck is on sale that won't give the humans an allergic reaction". So it's been Dawn the last few months. I read before that different dishsoaps can impact it as well.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was really hoping he'd switch to the stainless steel. I have a visual processing disorder that makes depth perception difficult and I've broken many a porcelain dish. My wife feeds the other two in those, but I don't touch them. He had acne using his porcelain dishes as a baby though.

We have these which the bamboo bowls sit right in you can see on the right. Upstairs there's another raised feeder that holds either the porcelain or metal bowls.

Attachments

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s only my older cat that has it, he has an ongoing skin allergy and the acne is a side effect from prednisone, I’ve used stainless steel food and water bowls for years which I constantly clean, but I have to stay on top of cleaning his chin.