Chin Acne Causes?

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the first time my 17 year old cat developed chin acne. It was cleared up with medicated pads that I got from my vet but today I noticed another one. It’s very small, but definitely acne, unless the vet incorrectly diagnosed him.

I’m just wondering what could suddenly cause this? He only drinks/eats out of ceramic or stainless bowls so it’s not plastic, which I read could be an issue. He has no new food or supplements. I’m completely stumped as to what it could be.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, cats can't groom under their chins :) Bacteria forms there and may cause acne in some cats. You can try wiping the chin daily with a damp wash cloth or Stridex acne pads (the one for people) or a cotton ball soaked in a bit of witch hazel to keep the chin as clean as possible. If it's just the teeny black specks you see, a fine toothed flea comb will easily remove them. Comb the specks out and then wipe the chin clean with your choice of one of the above.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, cats can't groom under their chins :) Bacteria forms there and may cause acne in some cats. You can try wiping the chin daily with a damp wash cloth or Stridex acne pads (the one for people) or a cotton ball soaked in a bit of witch hazel to keep the chin as clean as possible. If it's just the teeny black specks you see, a fine toothed flea comb will easily remove them. Comb the specks out and then wipe the chin clean with your choice of one of the above.
It’s probably the only spot he can’t reach :DI’ll definitely keep using the pads and I’ll try the flea comb, thank you so much!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat, Casper, had acne on his chin.

We determined that Casper's plastic food bowl was harboring microscopic dirt particles and bacteria was the cause.
We got Casper new, stainless steel, food bowls and wash them every day. His acne went away and hasn't reappeared, since.
His face has been trouble free for several years, now.

We brought this up at one of Casper's regular vet visits and we were told that feline acne sometimes "just happens" the same as it does with people. Changing his food bowl to something other than plastic (glass, ceramic or stainless) is a preventative measure. Wiping his face (if the cat tolerates it) and keeping things clean are also helpful.

A vet can also give you acne medicine, if necessary.

One humorous thing that our vet told us... If cats chase bugs and small critters and try to eat them, this can also cause acne. ;)

Casper will, occasionally, try to play with a spider or something but there was one time, a while back, when he tried to eat a stink bug.
You should have seen the look on his face! BLECH!!! :barfgreen:

Casper walks a wide circle around most bugs, now! I don't blame him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha poor Casper! The vet did tell me about the plastic and he doesn’t use any, so we ruled that out. I am leaning more towards maybe it’s just a new hygiene thing that I’ll have to keep up with as far as wiping his chin. I’m wondering if it’s safe to use human acne pads/wipes?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just have sloppy chins, I guess. The bottom of the chin is the hardest place for cats to clean, after all.

I wouldn't use any OTC, human acne products without asking a vet, first.
I'd have to look at the ingredients, first. Even then, unless I can see a clear answer, I'd still discourage it.
This is such a small problem, in the scheme of things, that it's not worth the risk.

There are special pet wipes, available in stores. They are just a package of "wet wipes" like we use for babies, except they are formulated just for cats. We keep a supply of them in the cupboard.

There's no reason you couldn't just use a clean cloth and some warm water. You wouldn't even need any soap or anything unless there was something really sticky or messy on his face. Besides, how many cats would tolerate having their faces washed with soap and water, versus just a wet wipe or a warm washcloth?

The stinkbug was funny, actually. We saw him chasing it and tried to warn him, "No, kitty! I don't think you want to eat that!"
No sooner did the words die out, he bit the bug! He made the biggest "Ick Face" you ever saw a cat make! His mouth was wide open, his tongue stuck out and his eyes were squinted half shut! "E-eew!!! YUCK!!!" You couldn't help but to laugh!

Now, whenever he sees a stinkbug he stands there and stares at it for a minute then he turns around and goes the other way.

It only took him one run-in with a stinkbug and that was several years ago.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many people here on TCS have used Stridex acne pads for their cat's acne with no issue at all. Since cats can't groom or lick under their chins, it's safe to use a pad or witch hazel or a prescription medicated pad from the vet. Just avoid the lips because cats can lick around there.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had to go to glass or stainless steel bowls when two of my cats developed it. Ceramic did not solve the problem. We have all been warned about lead in brightly painted ceramic bowls which are usually imported, but even good quality china or other ceramic can contain lead.