Chin Acne, And Reason #1013 Why I'm Probably Too Stupid To Have A Cat :-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy's chin acne has decided to flare up while we're trying to get his flea & food allergy related skin issues sorted out. Thankfully, his chin is looking much better, but he still has some blackheads along the edge of his lower lip.

So what in the heck can you do about that if the vet recommends several options for chin acne, but with the instructions that you can't use any of them that close to the mouth? Well, besides trying not to feel like an idiot when you're met with blank stares and the sound of crickets when you ask. :)

At the moment, I'm just using a weak mixture of Dawn and water and rinse as best I can. Could Vetericyn Wound & Care Care possibly be an option since it's supposed to be safe if ingested? George's Aloe Vera? Apple cider vinegar? Help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Once the area is cleaned you could use a tiny bit of witch hazel, diluted, to act as an astringent and close the pores. Or, and this is an oddball thought, honey is both bacteriocidal and bacteriostatic. That is to say, it kills bacterial on contact, and bacteria cannot grow in it. Needless to say, the amount would be VERY small. It is safe for cats, although it should not be a part of their regular diet, of course!

Interesting aside...A jar of honey was found in an Egyptian tomb. After more than 3000 years, the honey was still safe to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once the area is cleaned you could use a tiny bit of witch hazel, diluted, to act as an astringent and close the pores. Or, and this is an oddball thought, honey is both bacteriocidal and bacteriostatic. That is to say, it kills bacterial on contact, and bacteria cannot grow in it. Needless to say, the amount would be VERY small. It is safe for cats, although it should not be a part of their regular diet, of course!

Interesting aside...A jar of honey was found in an Egyptian tomb. After more than 3000 years, the honey was still safe to eat.
Thanks! We've been a little nervous about going back to Manuka honey after ants suddenly appeared and started chasing after Buddy like the Pied Piper. But now that Mr. Cheeser has taken care of that, maybe we can give it another try. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me I could use Stridex pads.
Our vet didn't recommend those, I think because they contain salicylic acid which is toxic to cat. Or maybe I misunderstood that. Our vet talks really, really fast sometimes and makes my head spin. :)

The diluted Betadine has done wonders for Buddy's chin acne! It's just frustrating that we can't apply it to the lip margin where he has a few stubborn blackheads. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's acne disappeared when I switched to stainless steel bowls/fountain.
We've always used ceramic bowls for Buddy, so we were surprised when he developed chin acne. We just hadn't counted on his food allergies presenting in so many different ways. Never a dull moment!

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cannot count the times I have fought chin acne with Jaspurr. I have tried EVERYTHING and all I can offer is this. Nothing works! Nothing! The only thing you can count on is that it will go away when it decides to go away. Just keep it clean. We have not had that issue lately, THANK GOD. It got really bad a couple of times and he had an awful, raw looking chin. I even resorted to using some steroid cream a couple of times and it at least seemed to keep the irritation at bay, but it certainly didn't stop the acne.