chicken wing question

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - I am reading a lot about chicken wings here on the raw sub forum.

They come in three parts, right? The little drumstick part, the long narrow part with the two bones ( like a human leg) and the little tip on the end.

What parts do you feed raw? All of it? That little tip on the end, too, which is mostly what... fat and skin?

I am NOT THERE yet, but I am thinking and doing some research.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a beginner on this topic too.

I heard some people give the whole thing, and I heard some people only give the tip and narrow part. I heard some people give the cats chicken wing without cutting.

This is what I tried. I first gave them quail wings, only the tip and narrow part and both of them chew it down with no problem.

Then I started giving them tip and narrow part. I cut them with kitchen scissors into very small piece and mix with food. Some times they chew it a little bit, or even they don't, they are fine just swallowing it.

Then I started to cut them in bigger pieces, probably like 1/4 and 1/3 inches long. Did not work that well, they did not chew it and Cheetah choked one time by swallowing the whole piece. So now I am back to small pieces.

But if chicken wings are too hard for you to cut, try quail, chicken ribs etc.

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually just feed to whole thing. But if your concerned about the tip just cut it off at the joint and feed the rest. My bone crushing veterans still have a little trouble with some of the largest part, of bone, in the wing. Sometimes they will plug away at it and other times they will give up. But they eat a fair amount of chicken necks which IMO are not as tough to get through. Which may be the reason why they don't eat it all, pure laziness.

I think the tips of the wings are bone and skin. But I may be wrong.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chris10

I think the tips of the wings are bone and skin. But I may be wrong.
They are...

Mine prefer meatier things like legs

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

OK - I am reading a lot about chicken wings here on the raw sub forum.

They come in three parts, right? The little drumstick part, the long narrow part with the two bones ( like a human leg) and the little tip on the end.

What parts do you feed raw? All of it? That little tip on the end, too, which is mostly what... fat and skin?

I am NOT THERE yet, but I am thinking and doing some research.
You can feed them all of the parts, but they may not be able to get through the drumstick part right away. When I gave my cats their first drummies, 3 of them chewed all the meat off and left the bones for me, and Mandy spent 3 hours on it (she was determined) but finally ate the entire bone on her very first attempt! Now they can all eat the drummies, no problem. They just have to build up their jaw strength, and it doesn't take long at all.