Chicken wing mid joints.

snowkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I'm currently feeding my cats a raw diet consisting mainly of chicken and beef and adding Better in the Raw premix to it. I know there is calcium added into the mix but I was wondering if giving the cats one chicken mid wing joint each everyday would be too much, or should I stick to giving it to them 3 times a week?
Both cats love chewing on the bone and it is quite satisfying to hear the crunch of the bones as they eat.

Another question, is the source of liver important? The smaller batches of Better in the Raw are made with beef liver and the bigger packs I've got are made with chicken liver.

Here's a link to their website http://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/cat_food_better_in_the_raw

Also, I know that different meats should not be mixed into meals but if I am trying to get a cat that will only eat white meat like chicken, can I mix chicken and beef together and serve? I've tried feeding just beef to Snowflake but he will throw up everything after eating.

Thank you for taking the time to read!

Rachel

meranaldar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I know that different meats should not be mixed into meals but if I am trying to get a cat that will only eat white meat like chicken, can I mix chicken and beef together and serve? I've tried feeding just beef to Snowflake but he will throw up everything after eating.
I'm not really sure about the other questions, but lots of people here mix different meats. I do all the time. It's perfectly ok to try mixing chicken and beef to see if he can handle beef in smaller portions. It's a good way to introduce new types of meat.

It seems a lot of cats have problems eating full meals of beef (and sometimes other red meats), at least initially.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!

I used to feed him beef slices and he kept that down, but that was months ago. I tried reintroducing him to beef chunks but he'll eat one, throw it up and walk away. That made me worried that he might be allergic to beef.

Think I'll try feeding him a small amount mixed with chicken this weekend so I can monitor him.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One chicken wing joint each day might be a bit much, I'd go three times a week. The proof is in the, um, poop: if very hard, decrease the amount of bone; if too soft, increase slightly.
You can definitely mix proteins in the same meal. Ritz has stomach issues (too much acid) when she goes too long between meals. She throws up if she eat beef/venison, but not if she eats a mild/white meat like chicken breast) and then eats beef.
Regarding the source of liver: it doesn't really matter which animal the liver comes from. I usually feed beef or chicken liver because it's easily sourced. When I can find pork liver I buy it, just for sake of variety.
Is the only organ liver, or is there another organ like kidney?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The liver is added into the premix. I don't think there are any other organs in it.
This is the list of ingredients from their website: Ingredients: Egg yolk, calcium lactate, liver powder, gelatin, whey protein concentrate, psyllium husks, EFA from fish, taurine, kelp, barley grass powder, Vitamin B complex, Vitamin E succinate

Maybe I'll try feeding a portion of chicken and then some beef to see if he can keep it down.

Regarding the bones, I think I'll give it to them every other day as a treat. Thank you! :)