Chicken Necks & Gizzards

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I took someone's advice and bought some frozen chicken necks from the pet food store. I just gave one to Simon after washing it a few minutes ago. He's still going at it! I'm so happy. He loves it! And he's such a good boy he's just chewing away at it right in his bowl. Not carrying it around or making a mess. What a sweetheart. God I love that cat.

Anyways. I haven't found gizzards yet, but I'm feeding these snacks mostly for dental care. How often should I be feeding them and how many chicken necks vs gizzards? Any other treats like this I could interchange for dental wellbeing? Is brushing still recommended or will this be sufficient? He's on an all wet/canned diet.

I just hope he doesn't have diarrhea or an upset stomach after this! This is the first time I've tried it!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd still brush the teeth just to be extra sure that the teeth are as clean as they can be.

Feeding gizzards and necks a few times a week is plenty and won't unbalance the diet. Some supermarkets, particularily ethnic ones, sell chicken gizzards. A butcher shop would likely have them as well and may order  you some along with chicken necks.

gwennad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I find chicken hearts & gizzards at Sobeys and Food Basics (I see you are in Toronto so you should be able to find them there)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'd still brush the teeth just to be extra sure that the teeth are as clean as they can be.

Feeding gizzards and necks a few times a week is plenty and won't unbalance the diet. Some supermarkets, particularily ethnic ones, sell chicken gizzards. A butcher shop would likely have them as well and may order  you some along with chicken necks.
As suspected, Simon had some diarrhea this morning :(

Is it just a matter of getting used to it? He's active and fine, and had breakfast...just....had some runs in the litter box...

I only gave him one neck yesterday. He really did love it.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll acclimate.  You could give him some probiotics if you wanted, especially s bouldarii, in the meantime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

He'll acclimate.  You could give him some probiotics if you wanted, especially s bouldarii, in the meantime.
I've given him some more since, and he actually seems to be doing fine! I occasionally feed him plain yogurt, which he loves. Knock on wood he seems to have a pretty strong gut thus far! But he loves the necks. Gobbles them right up!