Chicken hearts and Nutritional yeast and cheese for cats

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine told me that he gets chicken hearts at the local farmers market for his cats so we decided to try it for the old Lion King Simba, our 23 year old. We talked to the lady there who was very helpful and said many people feed their cats this, some raw, some baked or boiled, we didn't think raw would be good so Deb boiled them and we cut it into medium size pieces (he hasn't had any teeth for years) and at first she said he walked away from it but then Daddy heated them up and put a little Nutritional yeast on them and since then he is really eating them so that is good! I was wondering how anyone else that feeds them to their cats prepares them, and I know you should not give too much everyday.

Also the Nutritional yeast we use very sparingly, as I have read that this could cause urinary issues?

But he LOVES cheese! We give him holisitc pills for Hyperthyroidism and weight support and they are very easy to give in the cheese, but how much is okay to give him daily? We don't want him to get constipated, if that can happen like in humans?

Anything anyone wants to chime in with these things I would appreciate it, thank you!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats have had all 3. They give chicken hearts two paws up.
Nutritional yeast IIRC is very high in B-1 (thiamin) and my cats love it, in small doses. Just make sure it's plain nutritional yeast and doesn't have spices or additives. Personally, I think it's delicious and have some several times a week.
Same with cheese, Sarah gets her nightly pill in cheese (sometimes pate wet food, but usually cheese) and she eats it up. The piece of cheese is no bigger than my pinkie nail and it hasn't caused her problems. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have had all 3. They give chicken hearts two paws up.
Nutritional yeast IIRC is very high in B-1 (thiamin) and my cats love it, in small doses. Just make sure it's plain nutritional yeast and doesn't have spices or additives. Personally, I think it's delicious and have some several times a week.
Same with cheese, Sarah gets her nightly pill in cheese (sometimes pate wet food, but usually cheese) and she eats it up. The piece of cheese is no bigger than my pinkie nail and it hasn't caused her problems. :)
How do you feed the chicken hearts, raw or cooked?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine told me that he gets chicken hearts at the local farmers market for his cats so we decided to try it for the old Lion King Simba, our 23 year old. We talked to the lady there who was very helpful and said many people feed their cats this, some raw, some baked or boiled, we didn't think raw would be good so Deb boiled them and we cut it into medium size pieces (he hasn't had any teeth for years) and at first she said he walked away from it but then Daddy heated them up and put a little Nutritional yeast on them and since then he is really eating them so that is good! I was wondering how anyone else that feeds them to their cats prepares them, and I know you should not give too much everyday.

Also the Nutritional yeast we use very sparingly, as I have read that this could cause urinary issues?

But he LOVES cheese! We give him holisitc pills for Hyperthyroidism and weight support and they are very easy to give in the cheese, but how much is okay to give him daily? We don't want him to get constipated, if that can happen like in humans?

Anything anyone wants to chime in with these things I would appreciate it, thank you!
Wow, 23 years old…you must be doing something good…I try to give my cats something other than the Friskies wet food but when I try a good (expensive too) cat food they walk away but I’ve never thought about chicken hearts..but as I think back my mother use to feed a Chihuahua chicken liver..(cooked)
Think I’ll give them a try.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, 23 years old…you must be doing something good…I try to give my cats something other than the Friskies wet food but when I try a good (expensive too) cat food they walk away but I’ve never thought about chicken hearts..but as I think back my mother use to feed a Chihuahua chicken liver..(cooked)
Think I’ll give them a try.
We experienced the same thing, buying the so called "better" food only to have no one eat it!

Simba seemed to have lost interest in a lot of the wet foods, he still eats dry food, at times does eat wet food but we tried to mix things up for him, buying Squeeze ups and broths and soups, some he eats, some he doesn't, so we started to give him some people food, and looked online at what they can and can't have, so we've been giving him baked chicken and turkey and hamburger, cheese, even eats mac and cheese lol, but we make sure that he does get some cat food too along with some vitamins and fish oils sprinkled in along with the at time Nutritional yeast, and he seems to have really perked up and really yells at us in the kitchen a lot when we are in there!!

I just came from a local outdoor farmers market and talked to them about their cheddar cheese which seems to be more natural and most likely better for him than what we give him from the local grocery stores, so we'll try that today I am sure!!

And like I said in another thread, Sylvester also "benefits" from Simba's special diet, often getting some of it too although I limit it since he really doesn't need it like Simba does and I don't want to get screamed at in April when he goes in for his checkup and grooming when they say he gained weight lol!! :clapcat: :gingercat: :jester:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds great…I’ve tried some people food (tuna/tuna juice, scrambled egg, boiled chicken, even little pieces of ham….no response from them.
i was hoping they would eat some so I could give them something different other than the Friskies, (which I think is crap) a few feedings during the week..no luck!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds great…I’ve tried some people food (tuna/tuna juice, scrambled egg, boiled chicken, even little pieces of ham….no response from them.
i was hoping they would eat some so I could give them something different other than the Friskies, (which I think is crap) a few feedings during the week..no luck!
I forgot to say that yesterday morning Deb made scrambled eggs and he ate some lol!!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We experienced the same thing, buying the so called "better" food only to have no one eat it!

Simba seemed to have lost interest in a lot of the wet foods, he still eats dry food, at times does eat wet food but we tried to mix things up for him, buying Squeeze ups and broths and soups, some he eats, some he doesn't, so we started to give him some people food, and looked online at what they can and can't have, so we've been giving him baked chicken and turkey and hamburger, cheese, even eats mac and cheese lol, but we make sure that he does get some cat food too along with some vitamins and fish oils sprinkled in along with the at time Nutritional yeast, and he seems to have really perked up and really yells at us in the kitchen a lot when we are in there!!

I just came from a local outdoor farmers market and talked to them about their cheddar cheese which seems to be more natural and most likely better for him than what we give him from the local grocery stores, so we'll try that today I am sure!!

And like I said in another thread, Sylvester also "benefits" from Simba's special diet, often getting some of it too although I limit it since he really doesn't need it like Simba does and I don't want to get screamed at in April when he goes in for his checkup and grooming when they say he gained weight lol!! :clapcat: :gingercat: :jester:
At 23, aside from giving them something that could harm them, I let them have what they want. :)

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
At 23, aside from giving them something that could harm them, I let them have what they want. :)
Exactly...he's lying in the kitchen and pushes us when we come in there. I gave him some warmed up chicken hearts and tonight he didn't want that, gave him some warmed up hamburger and he ate that and also some cheddar cheese from the farmers market with less things in it so it most likely is better for him and he ate that, and this was after he already ate his supper! But we have to stop otherwise we'd be in there all night long catering to him lol!!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Exactly...he's lying in the kitchen and pushes us when we come in there. I gave him some warmed up chicken hearts and tonight he didn't want that, gave him some warmed up hamburger and he ate that and also some cheddar cheese from the farmers market with less things in it so it most likely is better for him and he ate that, and this was after he already ate his supper! But we have to stop otherwise we'd be in there all night long catering to him lol!!
👍😉 Bless him..

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
👍😉 Bless him..
He was just driving us nuts in the kitchen, and this was after he already ate some supper. But I figure it's his thyroid, plus we have been "catering" to him with different foods lately so he feels he can push us! Deb warmed some pieces of chicken hearts to try to distract him a bit while we ate but he didn't want them, so he stood and stared at me while I ate, once in awhile went to see what Deb was eating (same thing as me), but when I was done I took the bowl with the chicken hearts and added some small pieces of baked chicken, heated it up and topped it off with some of that cheddar cheese that I bought yesterday at the farmers market, heated it a few seconds and he liked that. I have found that we have to mix it up to keep him interested, and I swear if I put that block of cheese in the bowl he'd eat almost the whole thing, he LOVES cheese but we can't go too crazy with it I know.

He's funny, he gets real close next to me and just stares up at me as I am getting it ready for him, Deb says that it looks so cute! He's a silly old guy!!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He was just driving us nuts in the kitchen, and this was after he already ate some supper. But I figure it's his thyroid, plus we have been "catering" to him with different foods lately so he feels he can push us! Deb warmed some pieces of chicken hearts to try to distract him a bit while we ate but he didn't want them, so he stood and stared at me while I ate, once in awhile went to see what Deb was eating (same thing as me), but when I was done I took the bowl with the chicken hearts and added some small pieces of baked chicken, heated it up and topped it off with some of that cheddar cheese that I bought yesterday at the farmers market, heated it a few seconds and he liked that. I have found that we have to mix it up to keep him interested, and I swear if I put that block of cheese in the bowl he'd eat almost the whole thing, he LOVES cheese but we can't go too crazy with it I know.

He's funny, he gets real close next to me and just stares up at me as I am getting it ready for him, Deb says that it looks so cute! He's a silly old guy!!
lol. Cats can certainly be entertaining…send us a picture if you can.😸