Chicken, Fish & Turkey Free, Non Pate Recommendations

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I was hoping I could get some recommendations for wet food only cat food; options that are chicken, turkey and hopefully fish free that are not pates. (Pates are his least favorite and often won’t touch unless it’s Fancy Feast, but FF all have all those of those ingredients, lol. :dizzy:

I live in Canada, so brands that are available here.

He loves wervura beef & tuna pouch, but I was hoping to find another option that doesn’t contain fish. Ive read feeding fish too frequently isn’t ideal.

I’ve tried a few things like rabbit, pork, kangaroo, he didn’t like them, but those were pates. I am hoping there are chunks/shreds/slices in gravy of these types of protein out there? He likes Nutro duck okay, but it’s a pate, so he gets bored fast and becomes a challenge to feed. I’ve tried to feed primal raw pork, and it seemed to constipate him.

Am I asking for too much? Haha

I’m tempted to cook food for him and buy a food supplement, but I’d like to exhaust canned food options first before going there. I also need to research that in more detail.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ty!

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
fancy feast beef grilled
Sadly it seems canada doesn’t carry any of the beef varieties!! They are all “beef flavor” the primary protein is chicken in these :(

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Merrick has some Backcountry pouches with chunks of meat (think the same texture of Friskies Meaty Bits). Are those available near you?

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m in Canada but haven’t seen the Merrick back country pouches .

My two have decided they both won’t eat pate anymore. It’s like they communicated this to each other. It’s ridiculous! So, I too have been looking for good chunks in gravy options.

The only one I can think of for you is the Instinct Pride. I found it at Global Pets. Pet Valu doesn’t carry it (the one near me anyway), nor does Petsmart. It’s so frustrating.
Have you looked at Performatrin Ultra beef stew? It’s not pate but also not big chunks in gravy....it’s definitely a stew and my two will eat it. The Pride is so pricey.....

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Merrick has some Backcountry pouches with chunks of meat (think the same texture of Friskies Meaty Bits). Are those available near you?
Yes!! Thank-you. I was going to pick some of those up.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pride By Instinct in rabbit, duck, and lamb. I heard that NV is starting to discontinue Pride by Instinct so you may want to stock up on what you can still find.

Weruva Lamb Burgini might be ok. It has fish broth but no poultry.

Weruva TruLuxe Steak Frites and Glam N' Punk.

Try looking through this:

Suggestions For Cheapest Chicken, Fish, Turkey, And Grain Free Foods?
Sorry to say but the two that I bolded both do have tuna in them. I've fed them both at one time or other and remember the fish!

I can't think of any commercial foods offhand that fit but can say for sure that once you get your routine down, homemade isn't as much of a bother as it seems if you use a premixed supplement. I've been cooking meat for EZ Complete meals for a year (or two?) now and the cats love it. I'm now about to start adding in meals with Alnutrin, which is a premix but requires adding a small amount of liver. One of the biggest benefits of making cooked meals like that is that I can really mix up the textures: our cats like all kinds of foods and there's a lot of flexibility for chopping, dicing, slicing, and the like.

And it's good that you noticed the constipation from Primal right away: our cats eat a lot of that and one has just recently started having the same difficulty! Our cats love pork so a lot of their homemade food is pork.

Good luck!

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m in Canada but haven’t seen the Merrick back country pouches .

My two have decided they both won’t eat pate anymore. It’s like they communicated this to each other. It’s ridiculous! So, I too have been looking for good chunks in gravy options.

The only one I can think of for you is the Instinct Pride. I found it at Global Pets. Pet Valu doesn’t carry it (the one near me anyway), nor does Petsmart. It’s so frustrating.
Have you looked at Performatrin Ultra beef stew? It’s not pate but also not big chunks in gravy....it’s definitely a stew and my two will eat it. The Pride is so pricey.....
They sell the Merrick backcountry at the PetValu near me! I think each store carries different brands though.

Thank-you. I haven’t given pride or performatrin a go, so I’ll pick some up. I’ve tried Canada fresh beef and he gagged and ran away!! It smelt so good to me, like human meat. What is his problem!? :lol: He doesn’t seem to like the more expensive foods for some reason. Maybe I have to entice him with toppers to get him to try it.

Lol! @communicated with each other! Gosh, I know. Some days Sebastian will be all over pates, gobbling it down, the next snubs his nose to it.

My kitty LOVED Nutro sliced turkey entrée in savory sauce, but he scratches a lot with turkey :( Maybe your cats would like it?

Last edited:

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you can find the Nulo brand, but there is no fish in the Nulo Minced Turkey and Duck flavor.
Sadly, my cat scratches eating turkey :( but thank-you.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to say but the two that I bolded both do have tuna in them. I've fed them both at one time or other and remember the fish!

I can't think of any commercial foods offhand that fit but can say for sure that once you get your routine down, homemade isn't as much of a bother as it seems if you use a premixed supplement. I've been cooking meat for EZ Complete meals for a year (or two?) now and the cats love it. I'm now about to start adding in meals with Alnutrin, which is a premix but requires adding a small amount of liver. One of the biggest benefits of making cooked meals like that is that I can really mix up the textures: our cats like all kinds of foods and there's a lot of flexibility for chopping, dicing, slicing, and the like.

And it's good that you noticed the constipation from Primal right away: our cats eat a lot of that and one has just recently started having the same difficulty! Our cats love pork so a lot of their homemade food is pork.

Good luck!
EZ complete is an arm and a leg to ship into Canada. I think Alnutrin I can get in Canada though, if I’m not mistaken. I hope they have a version where I don’t have to add liver?

That’s interesting about the primal! I wonder if it’s the clay or something in the product? I was going to pick up some Red dog blue kat to try, but the lady at the store seemed to think it would constipate him more since primal gave him issues? She said, since it has even less in the way of fiber. I don’t know, so I didn’t bother.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EZ complete is an arm and a leg to ship into Canada. I think Alnutrin I can get in Canada though, if I’m not mistaken. I hope they have a version where I don’t have to add liver?

That’s interesting about the primal! I wonder if it’s the clay or something in the product? I was going to pick up some Red dog blue kat to try, but the lady at the store seemed to think it would constipate him more since primal gave him issues? She said, since it has even less in the way of fiber. I don’t know, so I didn’t bother.
Sorry to say but you do have to add liver to Alnutrin. If you don't like handling liver, though, you could buy powdered! (I don't like handling liver and someone suggested powdered to me in a recent thread in the raw/homemade food forum.)

As for the Primal, I suspect it's the bone since bone is a common cause of constipation. The pork Primal has less bone than the turkey, which we also feed, but some cats are very sensitive to it. I started adding a little pumpkin -- I'm not sure how much but it's not much, not even a teaspoon a day -- to Ireland's diet, and that's really helped.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Big Country Raw is a Canadian company that makes raw cat and dog food. Our breeder (we have a Vizsla puppy) gets her raw dog food from them. You can buy specific proteins, you could check their website. I find raw feeding for dogs very $$$ but I find it totally affordable for the cats since they don't eat nearly as much.
We feed our cats raw food - I've been back and forth on it.....we get it from a local company called Furballs Choice, and we feed them a specific protein rather than the mixed "house blend". Right now they are on turkey, but we also have 4 lbs of pork in the freezer. My calico Kaia has a very sensitive GI tract, and with raw incorporated, her poop is actually formed for once!
Since they've gone off pate completely, I've decided to stick to the raw once a day (3oz or so each) since the pieces in gravy foods definitely aren't the best. Makes me feel better, haha!

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Alnutrin over EZC because it’s way more reasonable to ship up here. It still costs almost the same amount for shipping as the product itself, but it goes much further. EZC also contains chicken liver so keep that in mind.

You can also use freeze dried liver with Alnutrin and you can get single protein freeze dried in lots of proteins.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Alnutrin over EZC because it’s way more reasonable to ship up here. It still costs almost the same amount for shipping as the product itself, but it goes much further. EZC also contains chicken liver so keep that in mind.

You can also use freeze dried liver with Alnutrin and you can get single protein freeze dried in lots of proteins.
Would TC Feline also work as a complete supplement? This one is made in Canada.