Chicken allergy

nightflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I posted in the forum before about my cat having a nasty case of sneezing and possibly lung problems to the point that sometimes he will open his mouth to breathe.

Recently he had an xray and his lungs was very bad, cloudy. The vet said it is due to a bad/chronic case of flu but did not mention Herpesvirus or FCV. He was also atested negative for leukemia fiv. He was warded for a week for iv medication. Back home he seems good the first few days but now his sneezing and nose congestion started up again. The only thing Ive started again is giving him chicken.

My question is actually if anyone know or heard of cats being sneezing/flu allergy towards chicken?

Sorry for the long post or if it seems dumb. I having been dealing with this problem for months now and so far I still cannot get a clear answer or cure for it and it really stress me out and made me have a sleepless night.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can have food allergies. They can also have allergies to stuff like dust and pollen: our cat is currently taking an antihistamine for mild sneezing. She also has (mild) asthma; you might want to check with your vet to be sure there weren't any signs of asthma on the x-ray. Also (not to be gross): what comes out of your cat's nose when he sneezes?

In any case, if this were my cat, I'd ask the vet about allergies. I'd particularly think about allergies if there's itching.The medicine our cat is taking is a cream that I rub in her ears. She doesn't mind it and it really does help. There are also tablets that cats can take for allergies.

Good luck!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to answer this briefly, because I can go on forever without giving a clear response.

We are thinking my guy has a chicken allergy.

His ears are very junky, and he vomits quite a lot.

Geoffrey's regular Vet has a cat with chicken allergies and another with IBD.
She picked up on this immediately. I had it in the back of my mind.

Two months after discontinuing the chicken and going to an all rabbit diet, his ears are not as junky, his basophil count--on blood test, is now normal; not elevated as it had been.

I do not know if chicken allergies would result in sneezing, respiratory issues.
I would think that would be related to respiratory allergies.. pollen, dust, even cleaners.

BTW; When I was using Microban spray, I noticed Geoffrey had a ton of sneezing. We thought he had a cold...
When I stoped using the Microban spray, all the sneezing stopped.

Wonder if your kitty may have something like this going on???
It was Winchester Winchester who tipped me off on the Microban spray.

((hugs)))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if it is allergies but he does not have any itching.
He also didn't have this problem immediately after we took him in.
Started few months after he live with me. The vet did not mention
anything about asthma so I assume that is not his problem but I'll
try asking. Sometimes nose mucus comes out, it used to be a lot
on some days but so far after the hospital admission the mucus
isn't as many, it is yellowish or greenish colour. Though it's only
been a week since he got back. I don't know about pollen...
I live in a tropical seaon country and he is always indoor.
I also stopped using any sprays or room fragrant. Recently I even
got myself a humidifier hoping it would helps him, and nebuliser.

He ear does gets junky quite quickly, maybe around 3 - 4 days.
He did had an episode of vomitting and not wanting to eat or drink
at all. Didn't know what was the cause. I admitted him to the vet
due to dehydration and that is when the vet start him on the iv
medication and took the xray. Unfortunately no, I don't use that spray
or any spray at all since his flu/sneezing start. For now I only give him
Orijen kibbles. The one in orange packaging and writes "Cat & Kitten".

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes nose mucus comes out, it used to be a lot
on some days but so far after the hospital admission the mucus
isn't as many, it is yellowish or greenish colour.
That yellowish or greenish stuff often indicates an infection. Those infections can be a bit tricky: we've had four cats who got upper respiratory infections that lasted for varying amounts of time. Two got medicine; one eventually needed fluids for dehydreation. One of our cats had lifelong recurrences (very minor, just a bit of sneezing and a runny eye) of what was probably a herpes infection.

The humidifier is probably a good idea and cutting out the sprays and fragrances could be helpful, too. I hope your cat starts to feel better soon! What is his name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's Noctis. The one in my profile picture. Thank you for all the help