Cheyletiella mites (walking dandruff)

arikkau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
My cat has been itchy, over-grooming and has dandruff. I thought maybe it was allergies or stress causing her to over-groom until I noticed that my other cat started getting dandruff and itching too. I'm thinking it might be Cheyletiella mites (walking dandruff). Revolution flea treatment is one way to treat this mite and I figured it wouldn't hurt to try since she needs flea treatment either way. I'll be treating both cats. My question is: Should I treat them every 15 days when using Revolution for mites ( I read somewhere that that is how to treat for mites) instead of every 30 days like that Revolution package says? I'm a little nervous to treat twice in one month but don't want the treatment not to work. Anyone had any luck with revolution of mites? If so how often did you give the treatment?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You only can get Revolution at your vet. Who can also diagnose whether or not it's walking mites.

It's the Revolution Plus that has mite protection. And yes you need to do it every 30 days unless a vet says otherwise, which I personally have never heard of. If you don't treat every 30 days you risk having the cat getting infested again since it takes time for the life cycle of a flea or mite to be eradicated from the environment. Continuous use is what keeps them at bay.

We have been using Revolution Plus for years with no adverse reactions and not one infestation of any type since we started.

It is pricey, however, but cost will go down if you buy it in bulk by several dollars per dose.

Munchiesbuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m assuming you had a prescription done through a vet to get the Revolution. So my best advice is to call the vet you got the prescription through and just ask. That medication is given out based on weight and size so it would be best to ask a professional who knows more about your little babies than we do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arikkau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You only can get Revolution at your vet. Who can also diagnose whether or not it's walking mites.

It's the Revolution Plus that has mite protection. And yes you need to do it every 30 days unless a vet says otherwise, which I personally have never heard of. If you don't treat every 30 days you risk having the cat getting infested again since it takes time for the life cycle of a flea or mite to be eradicated from the environment. Continuous use is what keeps them at bay.

We have been using Revolution Plus for years with no adverse reactions and not one infestation of any type since we started.

It is pricey, however, but cost will go down if you buy it in bulk by several dollars per dose.
Thank you. Yes, I requested it from the vet. I will look into buying in bulk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arikkau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m assuming you had a prescription done through a vet to get the Revolution. So my best advice is to call the vet you got the prescription through and just ask. That medication is given out based on weight and size so it would be best to ask a professional who knows more about your little babies than we do.
You are correct. It was done through the vet. I will ask them. My worried brain just didn't want to wait until Monday. Thanks for your suggestions.