Chex-Mix (2007-2018)

The_Baroness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chex-Mix was my first ever family cat. I remember getting her in November of 2007 when I was in middle school. She was a stray/feral cat that got tamed by our neighbors who moved not long after and we took up the mantle of feeding her. When we got the go ahead we could get her she became an indoor cat and became very loved.
Chex mix.jpg

We discovered after having her for roughly a year that she had asthma. She was on steroids and inhalers and at one point had a big surgery that had to do with cleaning her lungs. She was very unique and I have never met another cat like her.
0118181737a.jpg

A fond memory I have of her is when I mewed like a kitten and she tried to comfort me by trying to grab me by my arm like a mother cat would scruff. She also liked attacking towels that moved and would try to kill them.
In 2018, sometime in May, she randomly went blind. My mom took her to the vet for an overnight stay to be watched and was told nothing was wrong. After she came home, she was not the same. She yowled constantly, peed herself, and started having seizures. Before the seizures, I looked up what could cause a cat to randomly got blind overnight and came to the conclusion she had a stroke.
After we got to an emergency vet, they confirmed that she kept having seizure after seizure. That even if we found the problem, it would be expensive to try and manage and it would only prolong the inevitable. My mom and I said goodbye to her that night. Even to this day I can't think that something would have went from normal to horrible in just two days from her going randomly blind overnight. I miss her still and she forever holds a special place in my heart.
0117181732.jpg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She was beautiful. She looks so much like my Lila. Going blind and having seizures is scary stuff. I am so sorry for your loss. :(
And she had the cutest name I've ever heard! :redheartpump: I hope you can heal from your loss and remember her fondly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The_Baroness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was beautiful. She looks so much like my Lila. Going blind and having seizures is scary stuff. I am so sorry for your loss. :(
And she had the cutest name I've ever heard! :redheartpump: I hope you can heal from your loss and remember her fondly.
I remember her fondly and have many silly memories of her.
One time it was late at night, my mom was passed out on the couch and my brother and I were in our rooms. From dead silence to the loudest hissing, yowling, and most aggressive cat sounds in the livingroom. Scared my mom to pieces because this was right behind her head. It turns out Chex-Mix was in the window and a random cat got curious and was looking in the window. She was not having it and we had a good laugh after the biggest scare of our life in that moment. 😂

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I remember her fondly and have many silly memories of her.
One time it was late at night, my mom was passed out on the couch and my brother and I were in our rooms. From dead silence to the loudest hissing, yowling, and most aggressive cat sounds in the livingroom. Scared my mom to pieces because this was right behind her head. It turns out Chex-Mix was in the window and a random cat got curious and was looking in the window. She was not having it and we had a good laugh after the biggest scare of our life in that moment. 😂
That is a scary sound at night!! One night I heard my female angrily screaming and I ran into the room she usually is in. She was attacking the window and a cat I had never seen before was sitting there, looking in. He looked totally bored but she was so mad!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The_Baroness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is a scary sound at night!! One night I heard my female angrily screaming and I ran into the room she usually is in. She was attacking the window and a cat I had never seen before was sitting there, looking in. He looked totally bored but she was so mad!
Yeah, same here. 😂 The cat was just curious as to what was going on inside and Chex-Mix acted like it was a life or death situation.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you have so many fond and good memories of Chex-Mix, it helps to concentrate on these instead of her passing and the pain that it brings to your heart.
You could not let that beautiful girl suffer. If her life would become one of neverending seizures and fear, it was out of your love that you ended it. There comes a time when you have to trust what the vets advise and what you feel in your heart.
After so many years the bond of love you have that connects your souls is incredibly strong. Love is spiritual so eternal. Nothing, not even death, can take that away from you, "death cannot take that which never dies". Though your house and your life will feel incredibly empty now that she has left, your heart and your soul are filled with her 'essence', and will never be empty. Her new journey will always parallel your own, she will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers.
She lives on through you now, as long as you are on this earth, her place here is secure and protected. She would like nothing better than for you to go forward and use what she taught you about the precious gift she left in your care...a cat's love.....
My thoughts and prayers are with you, I know what a painful time this is, and will be, for a long time. But time will soften the soft edges of grief, and as your prayers reach her she will return ones of her own and help your poor hearts to heal. Take care of yourselves.....RIP beautiful Chex-Mix. You will never be forgotten, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Chex-Mix, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Yes, a stroke could account for both the blindness and the seizures. Do remember this...seizures are not painful to go through. The person or animal is not aware at all. She was not in pain, no matter how it looked. And remember this, too...what she knew of hearth and home and love, she knew because of you. And she returned that love, full measure. Now, from her new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you and your mom, and sends her love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all of your day. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.