Chewy.com Change????

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else's cat or cats or kittens seem to start disliking chewy.com wet foods or dry foods of any kind
I need to know of anyone else's concerns
If any

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been ordering my cats wet food either from the manufacturers or a smaller pet store that has an online store. I wonder if with the heat, if food is going rancid?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In March I created this thread
Sheba Quality Issue
You don't have to bother to read it for the most part as it involved a bug filled rancid batch of Sheba from Chewy. They immediately replaced it, apologized for it. While I usually blame FedEx for any problem with Chewy, this was clearly something that happened at their warehouse.....or at Mars facility. I also contacted Mars; they were not really interested, probably because I said that Chewy had compensated me as I wanted to be honest, and mildly suggested that I had stored it in an outside shed where bugs had gotten into it. All animal food is stored in the house, including bird seed, so no to that.

My point, yes, something could be happening someplace in the supply chain, maybe because of the heat as was suggested, but my cats are not refusing any other food from Chewy at this point and I buy multiple brands and types of food.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned foods are processed at very high temps and shouldn't be affected by normal hot weather temps. Dry food can go rancid if overheated though.

I'm not sure about the plastic-and-foil packets like Sheba. They do seem like they could be more easily contaminated than steel or aluminum cans.

Last edited:

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All my animals have devoured all the normal autoship items this month. A few dented cans, but no issues really.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have been eating the canned and dry food fine.

The pill pockets I buy from chewy are often on the drier side, and the last batch was very dry and hard to mold, which they refunded me for. I've bought some this year at Amazon when there was a sale, and the pill pockets were super moist. I've been wondering if Chewy just doesn't store them right because they normally come with a year out expiration date, which is pretty standard when buying pill pockets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been ordering my cats wet food either from the manufacturers or a smaller pet store that has an online store. I wonder if with the heat, if food is going rancid?
I agree
I'm seriously considering buying my cat food from as you said.. manufacture..or smaller pet store online
Cause I bought the same cat food from Amazon
And he eat it ok
And from Petco
But I'm seriously looking into another means of getting my baby's food
For now anyways

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a smaller pet store near you? Sometimes you can ask and they will order from the manufacturer for you.

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes. I have actually avoided chewy.com whenever possible because of multiple reasons:
1. They say 1-2 day shipping, but it usually takes 5-6 days for orders to arrive
2. I like to support local businesses
3. THE FOOD THAT I ORDER LOOKS AND SMELLS NOTICEABLY DIFFERENT FROM A STORE
The dry food that I used to buy wasn't sealed air-tight and smelled rancid, and the wet food was darker and abnormally dry. So, yes, I have noticed a difference in quality between store-bought and chewy foods. I will add, though, that my cat would eat it, but my dog would avoid her food (from chewy).