Chewing Plastic? Curious Cats Or Deficiency?

Kotoko & Kenai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
I have two cats who are a little over a year old who have been chewing on and licking plastic. I follow recipes and do 80/10/10 but still worry about them getting everything they need. I read that chewing on odd things can be a sign of insufficient diet.. Have any other raw feeders seen this behavior and found out if it might be a deficiency in their raw diet? I just want to be sure, because my other suspicion is they like the noise when chewing and are curious..

-Rebecca, Kotoko, Kenai

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t feed a raw diet but one of our cats chews on plastic (he perforates shower curtains and will make indents in ziplocks.) another cat loves tape and will rip it off of cardboard boxes. Neither of them do it obsessively, and neither of them consume or eat the plastic. I think it depends on the severity of their chewing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kotoko & Kenai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t feed a raw diet but one of our cats chews on plastic (he perforates shower curtains and will make indents in ziplocks.) another cat loves tape and will rip it off of cardboard boxes. Neither of them do it obsessively, and neither of them consume or eat the plastic. I think it depends on the severity of their chewing?
So might just be a cat thing? Not a food deficiency? My previous cats were very chill but they were also indoor/outdoor so they had natures whole prey and entertainment XD I've never seen cats get into things as much as my two now, particularly plastic, which is why I'm curious lol

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never had a cat that had an issue with PICA or anything like that, but anecdotally I think a lot of cats like biting plastic. They are funny little fur beasts :biggrin:

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittyboy Zeke was a chewer, particularly the edges of wood tables, windowsills, and our headboard.
When I started giving him whole prey, mice, chicks, and big chunks of rabbit with bone (2½oz), his need to chew seemed to be satisfied, and now he only gnaws on the headboard if I try to sleep in.
He gets a chunk of bone-in rabbit or a whole mouse most mornings for breakfast.