chewing paper or plastic

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
why do my kitties chew plastic or paper? one chews plastic every morning, like a ritual before he's fed. the other seems to like to chew paper especially my files. there are little bits of plastic or paper lying about. they don't seem to swallow it.

is it harmful? are they missing something in their diets? by the way, i no longer give them 'kitty grass' - could that be it?

bdier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OUR CAT CHEWS-TEARS PAPER WHEN IT WANTS ATTENTION, AND IS WAITING OR WANTING TO BE FEED... 

kittybelle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats love paper.theyre like big kids with fur! as long as they dont eat it,you dont mind the mess,wheres the harm? except they chew a wad of cash and spit it out.now,that would be bad!!!it must be the kitty grass.theyve got into the habit of something to do besides eat food.good luck with youre little rascals.keep your valuables out of reach lol :-)

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be hiding any plastic small enough for them to chew, if they are prone to break it up when they chew on it. It would be very easy for them to swallow a piece which could cause big problems. Paper at least is degradable and will most likely pass through them without issues, but plastic is not.  Offering them an alternative such as the cat grass is certainly ok.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My cats have all chewed paper but thankfully none had an interest in plastic.  The paper I don't worry about TOO much as long as it isn't being eaten, isn't highly coloured and maybe have some dye that could irritate their mouth, and isn't important - like a bill, or paper money (which Mouse has run off with before now).

One of my girls used to chew up kitchen roll and I'd find her sitting in the middle of her pile like some proud mom with a new nest. She was also terrible for chewing leather shoes and bags! 
   Most of my older stuff has little puncture holes just to remind me of her.   Mouse just likes to chew - paper, card, laces, people, and crunchy biscuits. He particularly likes greetings cards a friend of mine who has a dog sends me, I think the dog slurps them before they go in the envelope.
   If he's bored and wants attention Mouse will find something he knows he's not allowed and go straight for it.  
  If nothing else works he starts to chew my arm and that's my own fault...

I've tried cat grass and Mouse just pulls it out at the roots and makes an evil mess all over the place with it. 

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Ozzy loves to chew paper.  Never tries to eat it, just enjoys putting holes in our paperwork, I think.

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
gov licks plastic bags from the grocery store almost compulsively. i read that these are mostly made with cornstarch which is very attractive to cats. the same article cautioned that the cats can shred the bags and swallow pieces of them, and it's really not so great for their internal health. 

CalliopeUno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine loves to bite (not chew) cardboard and paper plates. The boxes he can do by himself, the paper plates i have to hold for him. It arose out of self-defense. My arm was in a sling so my daughter got me paper plates so I wouldn't have to do dishes. Little did I know that my newly adopted cat would be a biter and a kneader. When he'd get overly affectionate I'd jam the paper plate in the corner of his mouth (after removing my digit, hand,eyebrow or other body part from his teeth) and he'd happily chomp away. Now he much prefers cardboard. He never chews or eats it, just bites it. I tell myself it's scraping the plaque off his teeth.
He will not play with ANY type toy but will occasionally bite the fishing line of the pole with the feathers on it. And sharpens his claws on sisal posts (the better to KNEAD me with)- that's the extent of his playing besides chasing ghosts at odd hours so I'm glad biting cardboard seems to bring him pleasure or alleviate boredom.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why does my cat sit on plastic bags?

Why does my cat chew on paper bags?

Why does my cat have ongoing disputes with all bananas?

Why does my cat run off and hide in the middle of a play fight she started?

Why does my cat watch me poop?

Seriously I would try to understand cat behaviour, you'll end up nuts. I wouldn't overthink it.