Chewing on wires/plastic etc

lovemycalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My calico is 8 years old and has always enjoyed chewing on cords, dental floss, ribbon, shoe strings, plastic, yarn etc. We have had to cat proof our home and cover all the cables because she will chew right threw them. Nothing I did would ever stop her but I am curious if a lot of people have encountered this problem? Also, what worked for them to get the precious kitty to stop? Maybe I can try something new now or at least have the knowledge for future kitties.

I have always worried that she is going to get a blockage and I can't tell you how many times I have had to gently pull floss out of my cat, if you get what I mean.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My calico is 8 years old and has always enjoyed chewing on cords, dental floss, ribbon, shoe strings, plastic, yarn etc. We have had to cat proof our home and cover all the cables because she will chew right threw them. Nothing I did would ever stop her but I am curious if a lot of people have encountered this problem? Also, what worked for them to get the precious kitty to stop? Maybe I can try something new now or at least have the knowledge for future kitties.

I have always worried that she is going to get a blockage and I can't tell you how many times I have had to gently pull floss out of my cat, if you get what I mean.
dental floos is very dangerous according to my vet, take extra care.  Have you tried bitter apple on electric cords? Or cable protectors?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noodles is a string eater.  She does not have access to my master bath where we toss our dental floss.  When she did (at our old house) I would toss the floss in the kitchen trash can since it was kept inside a cabinet.  Anything with string, ribbon or even tulle has to be kept put away.  

Fortunately she is ok with cables.  Mostly what I hear is people using bitter apple spray and cable protectors.  

kendrab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat, Fima, has always been a string lover. I string tennis racquets to make some extra cash, and when Fima was younger I would have to put her in a carry case when I strung a racquet, lest she bite the string and damage it. She has grown out of that, however she will get into the waste basket where scraps of tennis string left over from string jobs end up, unless I empty this waste basket. When I leave the apartment I always take the precaution of unplugging the coffeepot. On several occasions she has ruined AC adapters for my portable computers, cell phone, and medical marijuana vaporizer. She is not as bad in this respect as she used to be (she is now age 7), but there is always a risk with her, and I am sure her love of string will never go away.

primecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Prime, has been obsessed with chewing wires since we got him at 4 months old. Even after spraying bitter spray on it, he still wanted to chew. We have to cover with cable protectors or just keep them hidden. He also LOVES to lick you. Must have been weaned too soon or something.