Chewing and eating objects.. :(

peeka73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

My cat Tripper likes to chew on soft objects, stuff like cotton shirts, socks, underwear, occasionally bed sheets, and lately pillows. He even goes after flannel blankets, or just anything soft. In his case, I think it's completely behavioral. When he is under stress, he cannot stop chewing on things. Has happened when I am briefly out of town, or when I had to move things around (ex. sleep elsewhere because they spilled their water cooler on the bedroom carpet..) He also chews when he is bored, or lately, when he can't wake me up in the morning hours. He likes to chew AND eat the fabric. The only way I've been combating this is keeping everything in closets or heavy lidded boxes like hope chests. He's already made his way into under bed storage and I'm fairly certain he will figure out how to get into the chest of drawers if I have one. He can get into plastic bins with no problem, and was able to yank the childproof latches open after several tries of yank, slam, yank, slam.

And what is alarming to me is, lately I see bite marks on some of my electrical cords.

I already have feliway plugs in the house. (which has helped mostly) I give him lots of attention and they have a cat tree and elevated areas to hide/play. (he has 2 other companions) I've sprayed with vinegar and bitter yuck, none deters him. He LIKES to even chew and eat adhesive tape. I can't figure out what else I can use to deter him? He goes ahead and steps right on aluminum foil, does not work. Other than something really damaging like hot sauce, I can't imagine what would work? (and not going that direction..)

I've been trying to avoid putting him on prozac (vet's suggestion), but it seems that he may actually need it at this point. Any thoughts on this or suggestions??

Thanks much in advance,
Grace

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peeka73

Hello all,

My cat Tripper likes to chew on soft objects, stuff like cotton shirts, socks, underwear, occasionally bed sheets, and lately pillows. He even goes after flannel blankets, or just anything soft. In his case, I think it's completely behavioral. When he is under stress, he cannot stop chewing on things. Has happened when I am briefly out of town, or when I had to move things around (ex. sleep elsewhere because they spilled their water cooler on the bedroom carpet..) He also chews when he is bored, or lately, when he can't wake me up in the morning hours. He likes to chew AND eat the fabric. The only way I've been combating this is keeping everything in closets or heavy lidded boxes like hope chests. He's already made his way into under bed storage and I'm fairly certain he will figure out how to get into the chest of drawers if I have one. He can get into plastic bins with no problem, and was able to yank the childproof latches open after several tries of yank, slam, yank, slam.

And what is alarming to me is, lately I see bite marks on some of my electrical cords.

I already have feliway plugs in the house. (which has helped mostly) I give him lots of attention and they have a cat tree and elevated areas to hide/play. (he has 2 other companions) I've sprayed with vinegar and bitter yuck, none deters him. He LIKES to even chew and eat adhesive tape. I can't figure out what else I can use to deter him? He goes ahead and steps right on aluminum foil, does not work. Other than something really damaging like hot sauce, I can't imagine what would work? (and not going that direction..)

I've been trying to avoid putting him on prozac (vet's suggestion), but it seems that he may actually need it at this point. Any thoughts on this or suggestions??

Thanks much in advance,
Grace
I am assuming this is a pure domestic cat, you know like an ally cat or moggie? If that is the case, I have only seen two cases as sever with pica (eating nonfood items) as you describe. Both of them had a medical component to them. One was a medical issue and one was a nutritional issue, but was based off of an ongoing illness.

So has the cat been to a veterinarian? If so, what did they say and or prescribe.

Now I have worked with exotic cats and own a hybrid exotic.Now with exotics and hybrids the above is very common. I can give you some pointers if that is the case. But I will spare being boring and writing a book unless I need too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeka73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup, he's moggie, just your basic ginger kitty.
He's the only cat in the house that eats fabric. I did ask the vet several times during his checkups (and during his numerous UTI/cystisis episodes months back). The vet suggested putting him on anti-anxiety drugs or if not, to redirect his need for chewing with cat dental chew toys. She also suggested giving extra fiber. I give him a teaspoon of psyllium husk with his food every day, and he destroys his cat chew toys. And he actually chews on doggy rawhide. He really likes to chew.

Sorry.. he's a puzzle. I think for his and my mental health, I'll just give up and put him on Prozac. Better that than have him get an obstruction from eating fabric OR get electricuted from wires.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

...or if not, to redirect his need for chewing with cat dental chew toys...
Since he likes chewing on fabric, I'd get him toys that are appropriate for him to chew on! And if he likes to chew on cords... replace that with bendy straws! Those work miracles (well...
) for teething kitties. He seems to like that texture - so get a box and scatter them around! Spray the cords with bitter apple, or purchase those thicker plastic covers (for bundled cords, but these will protect him) to put over your electric cords.

Just make sure to toss the bendy straws when they start to get chewed so he doesn't eat little pieces of them.

I'm assuming he's already had blood work done to make sure all his levels of everything (red blood cell count, etc.) are normal - things like B12 or iron or other levels tested and normal? I would pursue that as well if that hasn't been done yet.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yup, he's moggie, just your basic ginger kitty.
He's the only cat in the house that eats fabric.
Does he actually eat the fabric? Or just chew it?

I did ask the vet several times during his checkups (and during his numerous UTI/cystisis episodes months back). The vet suggested putting him on anti-anxiety drugs or if not, to redirect his need for chewing with cat dental chew toys.
Some other toys that have worked with my Savannah are: small dog Kong (black one), cows hooves, and pigs ears. Yes I know this is a moggie, but it still might help
?

She also suggested giving extra fiber. I give him a teaspoon of psyllium husk with his food every day, and he destroys his cat chew toys. And he actually chews on doggy rawhide. He really likes to chew.
I would not worry if he destroys the toys as long as you can afford to keep buying new one
. I would be glad that he is chewing the rawhide instead of fabric. Does your cat eat the rawhide or just chew it?

Sorry.. he's a puzzle. I think for his and my mental health, I'll just give up and put him on Prozac. Better that than have him get an obstruction from eating fabric OR get electricuted from wires.
As far as Prozac goes all I can say is that is up to you. But if he is actually eating fabric I would say it is not a bad idea to try some drugs.

Hope that was somewhat helpful and made sense. If you need any clarification please let me know

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeka73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LDG: Bendy straws? Interesting, never thought of that one. The bitter spray isn't working. I've resorted to wrapping my wires with electric tape for now. Will get some plastic covers soon, I forgot about that. Actually no, the vet didn't take his blood. I'll ask her to do a blood panel next time to rule things out.

Cat Person: He eats the fabric.
If he just drooled and chewed on them, I wouldn't be as alarmed. Oh! Interesting chew toy ideas! I will give those a try. I think I have to regard him as a puppy.. not kitty anymore.. As for the rawhide, he chews them, but doesn't get far enough to eat the rawhide. Thanks so much for your suggestions!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, given the timing, it does sound like it could be behavioral. But PICA can also be indicative of anemia or missing nutrients. In each of my cats that's started eating something not normal, they've been anemic.

I hope that's not the case, and I don't know how long this has been going on. But it IS possible he's got a blood parasite or something that his immune system is able to keep at bay unless he's under stress. Not out of the relm of possibility. So blood work would be a really good idea.

"Behavioral" problems are one of the few ways cats have of telling us there's a medical problem. Just a thought.