Chemical vs Holistic Flea Control

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m curious if any of you use Holistic methods such a coconut oil or another remedy to manage fleas and how effective is it. I found out abou coconut oil and put it on my cats last night. Last time I tried to put topical chemical treatment on Mickey he jumped and it splattered onto his fur and I had to wipe it off with a rag so I won’t use it. Plus I just don’t trust chemicals.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use the chemicals.

For me, what it comes down to is time and safety. How long will my cats have to suffer with fleas while I try things that may or may not work? What if they are harmed from having the fleas (anemic or parasites) because I tried something other than the known treatment? Plus some of those home remedies (tea tree comes to mind) are more dangerous then the chemicals. Others we just simply don't know because them being safe for humans or dogs isn't an indication of long term safety for cats. I'd rather give my cat the safe chemical one time a month treatment my vet recommends, over trying a dozen things hoping one of them work and not knowing what side effects it could cause in the attempt.

And I am seriously not a chemical person in general. I do take vitamin c, b vitamins and zinc myself when someone around me is sick. I do prefer an oatmeal bath over a steroid cream for my skin issues. I am also allergic to most chemical cleaners and use vinegar wherever possible for cleaning. But I also recognize that some things it will be better to just do the modern chemical version in the long run because it works.

As for the flea medicine, I have three cats. Two of the three it takes two people to treat. One I can do alone. The two, I will wait until they are sound asleep if possible because I can make sure I get good placement and they usually don't wake up. If they are awake, I've found putting it under the collar line or higher then the shoulders works really well.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the chemicals, though I prefer tablet versions to spot on :)

At least I know my cats are definitely protected, and I only treat for worms regularly, fleas less regularly as the only fleas they can get are the ones I carry in on my clothes, which hasn't happened yet but just to be safe and for peace of mind.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For very very mild flea cases you can try a few home remedies. Flea combing is quite effective if you do it every day. But cats are very sensitive to some things that are safe for humans and maybe dogs (like essential oils), hate to be bathed, and if you end up with a severe infestation you're going to need to use VERY nasty chemicals so it's better to use milder chemicals while you still can. So don't take it too far. One pack of Advantage can save you from having to bomb the whole house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m going to have to use Cheristin. I made an appointment with my Dad to hold down my cats while I apply the medicine. He thinks I am being a wimp. He doesn’t know how difficult my cats are. I was flea combing them yesterday and today. It’s like never ending.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the chemicals.

For me, what it comes down to is time and safety. How long will my cats have to suffer with fleas while I try things that may or may not work? What if they are harmed from having the fleas (anemic or parasites) because I tried something other than the known treatment? Plus some of those home remedies (tea tree comes to mind) are more dangerous then the chemicals. Others we just simply don't know because them being safe for humans or dogs isn't an indication of long term safety for cats. I'd rather give my cat the safe chemical one time a month treatment my vet recommends, over trying a dozen things hoping one of them work and not knowing what side effects it could cause in the attempt.

And I am seriously not a chemical person in general. I do take vitamin c, b vitamins and zinc myself when someone around me is sick. I do prefer an oatmeal bath over a steroid cream for my skin issues. I am also allergic to most chemical cleaners and use vinegar wherever possible for cleaning. But I also recognize that some things it will be better to just do the modern chemical version in the long run because it works.

As for the flea medicine, I have three cats. Two of the three it takes two people to treat. One I can do alone. The two, I will wait until they are sound asleep if possible because I can make sure I get good placement and they usually don't wake up. If they are awake, I've found putting it under the collar line or higher then the shoulders works really well.
You’re not alone, believe me….I get so stressed when it’s time for either flea treatment or time to cut their nails!! Horrible….I mainly do it myself because if my husband tries to help it seems like it makes things worse….
I try to treat or trim when they are just chilling on the cat perch and have to talk baby talk to them….lol
what we do for our kitties.🤣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Turns out I found an easier solution. I went to Petco and bought some Capstar tablets, then I went to CVS pharmacy and bought a pill crusher. I crushed the pills into a fine powder and mixed them into some Tiki Cat chicken pate with Fancy Feast tuna broth and my cats licked their plates clean. They don’t even know I gave them medicine. Today when I flea combed my cats I found fewer live fleas on the comb than yesterday. This is better because my cats are bonded and they lick each other so a topical treatment is too toxic for them. Oral medication is better. I figure if it’s this easy to turn their medication into a powder and mix it into tasty cat food then should they need something stronger than Capstar I can get a prescription for Comfortis and do the same thing. I also ordered a plug in night light flea trap from the Chewy website and I am going to vacuum a lot and do a load of laundry tomorrow. You’re right. Holistic treatments like coconut oil…they don’t work. Flea combing is probably the only holistic style treatment that’s somewhat effective.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too many people get anxious when they think of the word "chemical" but the great majority of times, such anxiety is not warranted.

Water is a chemical. Right? Have you ever heard the old joke about di-hydrogen monoxide? Tell people that the environment is full of di-hydrogen monoxide and they get all freaked out until you tell them that "di-hydrogen" means "two hydrogens" and "monoxide" means "one oxygen." Everybody knows that water is made from two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. H20.

I always urge people to learn about things instead of getting worried. Knowledge is power. Right?

Even if you study something that seems so simple as water, you can find out some cool things.
Did you know that there is a very precise temperature (exactly 0.01ºC) where water can exist as a liquid, a solid and a gas at the same time in the same place? It's called the "Triple Point." The triple point of water is so precisely known that scientists can use it to calibrate thermometers.

Isn't it amazing to think that water can help your car to run safely and efficiently, it can help keep us healthy when we drink it and, if we freeze water, it can make a cool drink to help us get through a hot day. The water in your car's radiator cools the engine by changing from liquid to a gas. (steam) Liquid water is essential for life. When you freeze water, it turns into a solid we call "ice."

I think it's so cool that a little bit of knowledge that might seem so inconsequential can change a person's perspective.

At the place where I work, there is a chemical solution that is used to repair damaged parts and it's pretty hazardous. There are several people who get all anxious because they don't understand what the stuff is.

You might know that, under Federal law, employers that ask their workers to use toxic chemicals MUST make complete disclosure and have copies of the Material Safety Data Sheets available for employees to read at any time. At my workplace, these data sheets (MSDS) are stored in a binder that is kept right next to the cabinet where chemicals are stored. Anybody who works there can just go get that binder and read it almost any time they want.

Whenever I come across a person who worries about using chemicals at work, I go get the MSDS binder and read it to them. Without going into too much detail, the bottom line of those data sheets says that, if you wear eye protection, rubber gloves plus an apron, and follow all recommended safety procedures it's safe to use. (Don't eat or drink while using chemicals. Use protective equipment. Wash with soap and water after using. If you feel sick, call for medical assistance...all the normal things that everybody should know.)

It's pretty interesting to see how people's reactions change after they have read the MSDS.

I understand how you feel about using medications. I'm a lot like that, too.

There are so many people who take any old pill without reading the label just because they think they might have a headache coming on. That really bugs me! I'm the kind of person who won't even take aspirin unless I really need it.
If I feel like I have a headache coming on, I'll go get a drink of water, have a bite to eat and lay down for fifteen minutes. If I still don't feel better, THEN I'll think about taking an aspirin. Even then, I still read the label even if I know that I've read it a hundred times.

I'm the same way about giving medications to my cat. Casper can't read so I have to do it for him. Yes, I read the labels on any meds I give to Casper even if I've read them a hundred times. When it comes down to keeping Casper healthy, I'll choose the pills almost every time but only after I have read and understand all the information.

We all know that fleas not only make a cat uncomfortable and itchy, they can spread disease, make a cat sick and, in extreme cases, can even kill a cat.

I love my cat and I would never do anything that would hurt him but, if it came down to a decision between fleas and my cat, I'll choose my cat every time. If that means I have to use medicine to keep him healthy, it's a no-brainer for me. I just make sure to read the label, first.

If you still have unanswered questions, ask your vet. That's what you're paying them for. Isn't it? ;) ;) ;)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to help make your decision on which flea medicine to use, google "name of flea medicine' reviews and complaints. That will help you know which ones really work and which don't.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just keep in mind, people doing reviews either are absolutely in love with or absolutely hate whatever it is. While I am definitely a fan of checking reviews, you do have to read them with a grain of salt and from a step back. Also, there are knockoff and counterfeit medications out there so sometimes the review you are reading isn't even a valid version of the product. Granted some things are total deal breakers and if I see the same thing frequently enough I am cautious, but remember to be critical when relying on reviews. Pay attention to dates, details and reoccurring things.

Whenever possible, I highly encourage people to buy flea medicines directly from their vet or a known supplier who gets directly from manufacturer (NOT Amazon, Walmart or target since all three ship from 3rd parties which could be selling counterfeit, outdated or knock offs). I personally only buy flea medication from my vet or chewy.com.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer the reviews on Chewy, they are in decent sized print and easy to read, something other places should discover. There is also consumer reviews, but their print is a little smaller than Chewy's.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some reviews on the Wondercide above. There seems in the one star reviews to be some question about the labeling.

as always read the fine print with a magnifying glass. from a review

"I contacted Wondercide on approximately 8-3-2020 regarding the problems their product had caused my kittens. I sent them X-rays, they discussed this with my vet, and then decided they owed me nothing. The reason? They had, in very fine small print at the bottom of the label, "Not for use on cats."

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Essential oils on general are not a good idea with cats. Their livers can't process oils very well and there aren't enough studies or research into what is safe for them. The wondercide has an entire page dedicated to saying how it is safe for cats but that on its own makes me a little concerned. Especially since they are saying it's safe in controlled amounts but how much is that?

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always used the chemicals and I also sprayed the entire house down with raid flea carpet and room. That cleared up my fleas on 4 cats.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are some reviews on the Wondercide above. There seems in the one star reviews to be some question about the labeling.

[/URL]

as always read the fine print with a magnifying glass. from a review

"I contacted Wondercide on approximately 8-3-2020 regarding the problems their product had caused my kittens. I sent them X-rays, they discussed this with my vet, and then decided they owed me nothing. The reason? They had, in very fine small print at the bottom of the label, "Not for use on cats."
Thank you for posting this, I was tempted to buy it but thought I’d ask if anyone here ever used it. So sad to hear the bad reactions….we try our best to help our pets.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They had, in very fine small print at the bottom of the label, "Not for use on cats."
Funny... The label on the bottle in the picture, above, says, "For dogs, cats, bedding and on-the-go."

I looked at the website for Wondercide and I was skeptical from the get-go. There's a lot of fluff, lots of fancy words and there was a lot of scientific-sounding language that doesn't really mean anything if you read carefully.

Further, virtually all of the reviews give five stars with a few that give four stars. Maybe there were some poor reviews but I couldn't find any and I wasn't about to go looking through more than a dozen pages to find them. The fact that all their reviews seem to be rigged tells me that there is a lot of BS-ing going on.

As to the ingredients, they all look pretty normal. Nothing that would be especially harmful, as far as I know, but neither is there anything that stands out as special. The main ingredient in all of the products I looked at was cedar oil.

I don't know much about cedar oil that leads me to believe that it's particularly harmful to cats but anything aromatic like cedar is something I would avoid. In my opinion, cats don't like pungent smells. I wouldn't put anything containing cedar on Casper.

Some of their products contain lemongrass or peppermint. Those are no-nos for cats. Peppermint, especially. Even though I have no reason to believe that peppermint is harmful, I don't think it's particularly good for cats. The smell, particularly. If I wanted to keep a cat away from a certain area, I would use something like peppermint oil soaked into a cotton ball. Cats don't like the smell of peppermint and usually walk a wide circle around it.

I don't know what product the person who lost their cat was using but, according to the label and everything on the Wondercide website, there shouldn't be anything harmful. Maybe the company cleaned up their act and changed their product formulations. I don't know but something sounds fishy to me.

Bottom line is that there are enough "red lights" that tell me to steer clear of Wondercide that I wouldn't buy it.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TICKS & FLEAS
Has good reviews, the lung cancer stuff seems to be working.
I looked into this product as well. This is what I found:

The FDA has sent the company that makes HomeoAnimal products a warning letter that says they are in violation of Federal law.

Per the warning letter from the FDA:

Further, as discussed below, these products are unapproved new animal drugs and introducing or delivering these products for introduction into interstate commerce violates section 301(a) of the FD&C Act [21 U.S.C. § 331(a)].
Bottom line: Steer clear!