Cheering up tired/depressed kitty?

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to keep on posting about my Kippy, but I just want him to be as happy and comfortable as possible. He's still got his liver issues, but sometimes I cannot tell if he's just out of energy or upset, or possibly something worse. He doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort, but sometimes he scares me. He'll lay in the same exact spot for hours, and he always lays right in the middle of the floor, so I have to make sure I don't step on him. He might curl up in a ball with his feet under his chin, but his eyes will be open. It almost looks like he wants to get up and move, but maybe doesn't have it in him to do so. I know that's not true because he can easily get up and walk around.

Other times when he lays on the floor, he sprawls out, but not in a normal silly kitty way. He honestly just looks like he's collapsed and is laying just how he fell, again, usually with his eyes open. And when he does these things, it freaks me out and I wind up petting him to the point of bothering him and then he throws a tantrum. It's rare when he purrs anymore, which makes me sad because he used to purr just from me saying his name.

Meanwhile, he certainly gets perky when he wants something to eat. He'll sit with his eyes wide open, looking up at me and meowing, tripping me when I take his food to him, purring when he eats. But then he goes right back to being listless and grumpy when he's done. He also used to sleep on my bed a lot, but lately he hasn't been doing that. I don't know if he just doesn't want to see me or he doesn't want to see anyone. I imagine if it was that big of a problem, he would just go and hide where I couldn't find him. I pet him and snuggle with him, but he seems depressed.

His diet is kind of hit and miss. Generally he'll eat two cans of Fancy Feast a day - once in the morning and once at night. I cannot force him to eat because he'll get worse - I know, I've tried. Also, with Thanksgiving having been last week, he's also been getting leftover turkey (not seasoned with anything that would make him sick), sometimes in place of one of the cans of food. Unfortunately, he's still nothing but skin and bones. I've tried giving him many kinds of dry kibbles and he might pick at it a tiny bit, but won't eat anything dry on a regular basis.

One other thing he does is no matter how tired he is, he will constantly flick his tail. Now I know that it's usually not good when a cat wags its tail, but I don't know what exactly it means. He just kind of swishes his tail back and forth against the floor, and he does it even more so when I call his name. I don't know if this means he's not happy or he's annoyed or he wants me to go away. Meanwhile, and this never fails, when I'm gone all day long, he's waiting for me - sitting upright - at the top of the stairs when I come home, and he usually seems happy to see me and is hungry.

I really don't think he's at the end of his rope yet. Not when he has that sparkle in his eyes when he wants food. But it breaks my heart to see him so out of it and I just don't know how to make him better. I mean if he's going to just be this way for the rest of his life, then I can accept that. I just can't help being emotional about it because Kip was always a very very affectionate cat who always wanted someone to pet him or play with him, and he was so happy. He's gone downhill so much since the spring. Obviously I won't let him suffer if he gets too bad, but I miss my kitty. I just wish I could make him happy again and I feel like a failure as a cat owner knowing I can't make him happy anymore.

This isn't a recent development, but I have noticed a decrease in energy and he's been this way for the last few months.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of play do you try and do with him? Does he show interest in any toys? Flicking of the tail can mean many things and is a sign that the cat is in a state of arousal of some sort. be it excitement, fear, agitation or annoyance. Mine flick theirs when they REALLY what to do SOMETHING, anything lol. 

I know you work and so may not be able to offer more frequent meals, but perhaps working in another meal during the day may help his weight. I feed mine 3 times a day. You could do 1 before work, 1 after and then add a bedtime meal. The 2 cans of fancy feast you give him equals 6 oz/day which is normally enough to maintain a good weight on the average cat, but when your trying to get a cat to gain you are going to have to add more calories per day to accomplish that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interest in playing is very hit and miss, more miss than hit. He doesn't have a favorite toy he used to enjoy just simple chasing string around, but he hasn't seemed to want to play a whole lot lately. Another thing he likes is when I move my finger slowly toward his face and make a buzzing noise, and then he'll bite my finger. I have no idea why this is fun, but he likes it, and he gets up and runs off when I don't let him "win." I also know he can be overstimulated, as he'll hiss and run off. I don't think he has much of an interest in playing lately.

I'm actually unemployed now, so it's not a matter of being unable to work in another meal. I'd feed him all day long if I could. It's just I only feed him when he's up and about because he has no interest in food otherwise. Not even things like deli meat. Between his meals, he's lying down pretty much all day long. I can't tell if he's depressed, out of energy or both. He gets very depressed after he's been under stress for longer than a moment or two. Like when I was force feeding him with a syringe, he would just lay on the floor all day long and not move while staring into space, wouldn't clean himself, wouldn't eat or drink. But he's not under stress right now. I don't know what could be making him depressed if that's the case.

It just freaks me out because my Rolly did somewhat similar things when he was dying. He laid in one place all day, flicked his tail at me, did not look happy, had no energy and had to sit down after taking a couple steps. Kip's not that bad yet since he'll still get up to eat and use the catbox and such, but it's similar behavior. I don't want to just say screw it and put him to sleep because it might just be mental and not physical. Plus I think depression and lack of energy are common among fatty liver kitties, but I just don't know to what extent this kind of behavior is "normal" before I should start getting really concerned. I know a certain amount of sleeping and lazing around is totally normal for elderly cats, but this seems like a lot even for an older kitty. Plus he doesn't sleep a lot of the time anyway - he just lays there with his eyes open. Can you blame me for worrying? He doesn't seem to have trouble getting up onto the bed or couch or what not when he wants up, so I don't think he has arthritis.

I just worry that he's dying and I don't realize it, but he does. I have no issues helping him along if he's truly ready to leave, but I just don't know how to tell unless it's painfully obvious like it was with my other kitties. I love him too much to allow him to suffer, but I just can't tell if he IS suffering.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to do some catching up on some of your previous posts and see you have already gotten a ton of great advise and tips to help him gain weight, so won't address that issue any further. I know your doing all you can on that front already.

Cats do hide their discomfort so well. I do think you will know when he is ready to leave. I think only you can say when that may be, since you know him better then anyone here.  IMO if he is still eating his norm, drinking and eliminating, looks alert, then, again IMO, it does not sound to me he is suffering.

It may well be boredom is why he shows no interest in his older activities. Try something new. I have to introduce new things occasionally and rotate out some of the toys they previously loved. He will not have the same old activity level of course, but should show some interest in something. Just have to find the right something. THAT is the part that can be a challenge. Since he previously liked chasing string, perhaps a wand toy such as the Da Bird, or similar, might tweak his interest.

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I've asked a lot about feeding and I'm very grateful for all the help the folks here have given when I was having a nervous breakdown over Kip and what he was and was not eating. For some reason, he seems much worse late at night. That's when he is just absolutely, totally out of it. During the day, his energy levels are a bit better and he moves around more and seems a bit happier. I'm still not sure why. To be honest, a little part of me has been reluctant to engage him in much playing because I'm worried he'll wear himself out too fast since he's not as healthy as he used to be. I know that might sound silly. I just don't want him to feel worse if he plays too much when he may not have the energy to do so. He does still like biting my finger - he doesn't do it all the time, but he'll still do it, which is always refreshing to see.

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is dealing with liver issues (and heart issues), and I totally relate to your post. He's only 3. The only time my cat seems to be perking up is at dinner time. After that he lays around and sighs. It's hard because they can't tell you what hurts. Wish I had some advice. He also seems worse in the evening, though the last couple of days he's been listless all day. I feel for you.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@RuneKeeper   Playing with him more may (hopefully) also increase his appetite. His body will say ....I need more calories to burn since I am more active. He will tell you if he is too tired to play, he just won't, and it doesn't HAVE to be a vigorous workout, just something to excite him some. Increasing play may also get him to expect play more and so also increase his activity level. Try and set up routine times, allow him to set the pace and he'll be ok.

Last edited:

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with the last poster. I apologise and do not know the history of your cats illness , but some gentle and new play can surely not do any harm?
A current favorite game for my cat is that he hides inside a large paper shopping bag(with the handles cut) and I roll a nut(in its shell ) hard against the side of the bag. He sticks out a paw and swipes it back to me. Repeat. Maybe your cat would enjoy a game like this?

nocturnal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt I can help as my experience with cats is limited but I've seen this cat toys with balls rolling down a slide. The cat doesn't need to exert itself to play, you activate a switch and colorful balls come sliding down. Perhaps you could try it? Good luck with your cat.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I can relate to your worrying about whether it is lack of energy or depression, at first when my boy was sick with stomatitis I thought he was depressed but he had got really sick, and from time to time he gets very quiet and less bouncy but until he was diagnosed with FHV I was worried these were down to him being on his own.  I am now pretty good at picking up when he is under the weather but you always worry if you love your cat.

How does Kip respond to  boxes, and paper bags like Turks rule suggests., the simple staples that you can rustle about and hid in, and add interest to the finger chewing?  He may not have the energy to run about but a bit of hiding and hunting might engage interest for a bit?  My old girl Pal would play a bit while lying down if I lay or sat beside her and patted her paws with favourite mouse toys or bits of string and ribbon. She couldn't move about much and was blind but still liked the odd bit of play if I was there with her.

I see it as a positive sign that Kip is coming and laying in the middle of the floor rather than hiding away in corners or under things, in different rooms to where you are, and if he is swishing his tail when you say his name that sounds more like he is excited by that than annoyed.  If you slowly move in beside him at that point would be move away or continue to lay there and maybe interact a bit with you like Pal did with me?

Good luck in finding something you feel makes him happier and that light in his eye a bit more often. 

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing Kip always used to like doing was I'd find a light blanket or a bed sheet and throw it over him, then move my finger around over the top of the sheet and he'd paw at it. Of course, this also meant he thought it was playtime when I made my bed and I'd just make the bed over him because he wouldn't move. :) He's never really been interested in boxes or bags in terms of playthings (he likes to lay on plastic bags, for some reason). He likes simple things like batting at string, or he'd play with toy mice. He might also be interested in a laser pointer - I've yet to have a cat that didn't like playing with one. Considering he likes string, I wonder if he'd like one of those wands with feathers on it. He doesn't respond much to noisy toys like jingle bells. One "toy" I know he'd like is a real mouse. Sometimes in the winter, a couple house mice find their way into the basement and Kip, despite his lack of teeth, would manage to catch them and bring them to me. And when he was still alive, Rolly would grab the mouse and bring it to me again because he wanted the credit. Obviously I'm not going to go out of my way to bring a mouse in here, but Kip will camp out in front of the basement closet for hours if he hears squeaking.

When I move beside Kip or pet him, he only ever walks away if he gets overstimulated or annoyed, like if I touch his tail/feet or I don't let him bite my finger. Usually he'll sit there and let me pet him even if he doesn't purr. Since posting, he's developed this new habit of sticking his foot under my bedroom door and scratching the door/carpet in the morning when he wants food. Also, in regard to his eating habits, I found he not only is more hungry first thing in the morning (or afternoon), but has taken a liking to Friskies. So he's also been eating a little better the last couple of days, getting a 5.5 ounce can of Friskies in the morning and a 3 ounce can of Fancy Feast at night. I was worried initially because I gave him two cans of FF at once a few days ago and he threw it all up 3 hours later, but I didn't know if it was the food or he just happened to be sick. Turned out to be the latter, as he's been keeping the larger cans down just fine since.

I understand he will have good days and bad days, and sometimes I just really lose it worrying about him. The only downside is when he's up and about and walking around, generally it's because he wants food. Any other time, he's asleep or resting. I don't want to play with him too soon after he eats because I'm concerned the food will come back up and I want to try and ensure the food goes out the opposite end. Maybe once I've had him eating more food for a bit longer, I'll try playing with him. As you guys have said, he may have more energy and be more willing to get up and move around.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
If Kip paws under the door for attention and food in the morning he might respond to a game of hunt and catch the toy from oposite sides of a door.  Mouse does that quite a bit.  Either with a real biscuit / fish treat or with a toy mouse or similar that he can see and paw at under the door and manage to pull at least part of the way through.  I will move the toy in and out, along the length of the bottom of the door, and generally tease him a bit before letting him get hold of it for a while.  Not a great deal of running about but at least it's a bit of play and stimulation.  you can use just about any toy with a tail, bits of string or ribbon,  or feathers that will catch attention and give something to paw at.

Here's to him having more good days.