Cheaper Canned Foods?

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up the Iams purrfect delicacies turkey and liver in gravy. Half price 50 cents a can at big lots. Cats looooved it! It is chunks! No by products, fish, grain or carrageenan. Going back tomorrow for more.[emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, food made in Thailand is pretty safe..they have better controls than those is China.....

The Food from Thailand is supposed to be human grade...so they say..no worries...

The food from China are very questionable....I would not use them as a food source....or a production site...

catmomjulia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am feeding mine Iams canned food and have had a really good experience with it, most of the cheapish canned foods are pretty good ingredient wise, just try to avoid certain additives and ingredients and you can find some great ones for about .50 to $1 a can

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeding mine Iams canned food and have had a really good experience with it, most of the cheapish canned foods are pretty good ingredient wise, just try to avoid certain additives and ingredients and you can find some great ones for about .50 to $1 a can
I went back for 48cans of turke liver delicacies at 50c each. Now I got home I see she charged me for only 24 cans

mscatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've considered Iams also as I thought they had a decent reputation, but noticed that they include carrageenan in some of their canned food. That is one ingredient I try to avoid. Fancy Feast doesn't have it, but I am a little concerned about the "artificial flavors" in it. This is a challenge.....

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I've considered Iams also as I thought they had a decent reputation, but noticed that they include carrageenan in some of their canned food. That is one ingredient I try to avoid. Fancy Feast doesn't have it, but I am a little concerned about the "artificial flavors" in it. This is a challenge.....
There is no carageenan in the 48 cans I bought at big lots on sale half price. It was Iams purrfect delicacies turkey and liver. The cats loved it! Product of Thailand, which is good, more stringent rules on processing plants better than usa.

Last edited:

mscatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is good to know, thank you for sharing that info.

From what I have learned, they just add carrageenan to the "pate" style foods, to give it the consistency it has. (Fancy Feast uses guar gum instead). My problem is that my kids won't eat sliced/chunky style food at this point in time. They just lick the gravy. So, I am looking for pate styles that don't use carrageenan which isn't easy. Many of the "healthy" brands use it.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 So, I am looking for pate styles that don't use carrageenan which isn't easy. Many of the "healthy" brands use it.
ziwipeak and hound&gatos don't. But both are expensive and therefore off topic in this thread 

what I give the ferals is just Friskies canned. Note that you get more bang for your bucks in pate styles anyway because they have less water (I always add water from rinsing out the can anyway, can't have enough water for cats), and some even come in big 13oz cans which makes the whole thing even cheaper per meal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felineempathy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

From what I could tell from looking at all the Iams foods at Petco, these two I selected appear to be the best:

IAMS Purrfect Delicacies Slow-Cooked Turkey & Liver Dinner in Gravy 2.47oz: 78 calories

IAMS Purrfect Delights Cluckin’ Good Chicken Dinner Chunks in Gravy 3oz: 83 calories

No carrageenan.  Careful about their chicken recipes, some reason they have a lot of variations (chicken recipes with different names) - Cluckin' Good Chicken dinner was the best out of all of them.  It looked like they only offer chicken in their Delights recipes.

The Delicacies recipes appear to be the more premium foods of Iams.

Last edited: