Cheap Effective Ways To Clean & Reduce Cat Hair

phoebejeziel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I have two babies that sleep in my room at night. This of course, means that their hair gets all over my bed.

It doesn't bother me. I have lint rollers for my clothes and I vacuum my room weekly (especially since I have carpet). I clean the litter-box daily (I have one in my room so this is crucial to make sure I have no smell), I use cat deodorant and candles, I just can't seem to figure out the hair!

It typically stays off my clothes because they're not allowed in my closet. I've been cleaning my bed at least once a week with a lint roller, but it uses a lot of sheets (I use the sticky ones) so my lint rollers don't last long.

Any suggestions on cheaper methods to keep the hair under control?

Thanks!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. For one thing, you could buy fabric lint rollers (versus disposable sticky paper). An example on Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/d/Lint-Remov...1542132124&sr=8-4&keywords=fabric+lint+roller

I have two of these rollers - have had them for 20 years and never had to replace them. You simply rub against the grain of the roller to remove the hair/lint.

Secondly, do you regularly brush your cats? That will remove a lot of the excess hair. I brush my cat at least once-twice a week, and more so during shedding seasons. Even down here in Florida, Feeby sheds more during seasonal changes.

That's my two suggestions. Maybe some of the other members will have additional ideas and post them here soon!!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two of those type lint brushes FeebysOwner linked in the house, and one small fold-able one in my purse. Two of the lint brushes I got at a dollar store and I have had for at least 15 years. They do work great, and you can even run them under some warm water with some soap to clean them if they get dirty.

You can also get washable lint rollers, they are sticky like the disposable sticky sheet ones, but instead of throwing it away you just wash it off. Here is an example. https://www.amazon.com/iLifeTech-Roller-Resuable-Remover-Inches/dp/B00WQY9PHW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542134242&sr=8-3&keywords=reuseable%2Blint%2Broller&th=1
They don't last forever, they do loose stickiness eventually, but normally last years.

Another option is to use rubber gloves, running them over stuff creates static that causes the fur to cling to the glove. You can also get grooming gloves, they have little nubs like a brush to use on the cat. You should also brush the cats regularly too, brushing makes a huge difference in the amount of fur that ends up shedding out on furniture and bedding.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful where you put the candles. We had a cat leap over the table and the candle on it and set himself on fire. Fortunately, the mad chase, capture and roll rescued him. We never used candles again. Of course, I' guessing there are safety sort of covered holders for them.

We like the washable link rollers - definitely the most price effective way to go. The sticky tape is usually gone after two garments.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I lay a light blanket or throw over the top of the covers on the bed, which only helps if the kitties stay on top of it. When it gets too fuzzy I throw it in the dryer with a couple of anti-static balls--no chemicals--and run the dryer for 10-15 minutes. It doesn't take all of the fur off, but definitely reduces the lint roller usage.

Be sure you clean out the lint trap in the dryer every time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoebejeziel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of the kind suggestions! I'll be sure to check out those lint rollers! I don't brush my cats hair regularly, but it looks like this is something I'll starting making time for.

Also yes, the candles are well out of reach for the cats. :) They're not protected, but they are placed where the cats can't get to them.

thanks again!!

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I clean the majority of fur from surfaces with my vacuum attachment. It does a great job of taking fur off of most anything. I do keep blankets on my couch most of the time to keep them clean and eliminate any wear and tear the cats might do to them so they're easy to wash and dry when needed.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be sure you clean out the lint trap in the dryer every time.
And have the entire dryer hose line, from the back of the dryer to where it connects to the outside, cleaned yearly. If your hose is easily accessible, it's not hard to take the hose off and blast out the lint with a garden hose, or just a long brush or maybe even the vacuum cleaner hose. If it's not accessible, say the machine is wedged into a teeny closet and you're on the 12th floor, have it professionally done. Lint can build up throughout the hose and becomes a fire hazard just waiting for a spark, even if you clean out the lint trap before every load.

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
45218D52-2C72-4F1D-89BB-A85ECA0E0C8D.jpeg

I have an old sofa I don’t have covered and use this almost daily. One sheet a day—when done with the couch I use it on the hardwood floors nearby. Always have at least one refill on hand and forget sometimes so one roll lasts about a month. The stickiness is pretty strong. I order one roll every month (about $9) with anything else needed from Chewy. Also, I have a long haired cat and can’t get by a day without grooming him but it does cut down the amount of shedding. No idea if that applies to shorter haired cats though..

Siber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I have two babies that sleep in my room at night. This of course, means that their hair gets all over my bed.

It doesn't bother me. I have lint rollers for my clothes and I vacuum my room weekly (especially since I have carpet). I clean the litter-box daily (I have one in my room so this is crucial to make sure I have no smell), I use cat deodorant and candles, I just can't seem to figure out the hair!

It typically stays off my clothes because they're not allowed in my closet. I've been cleaning my bed at least once a week with a lint roller, but it uses a lot of sheets (I use the sticky ones) so my lint rollers don't last long.

Any suggestions on cheaper methods to keep the hair under control?

Thanks!!
I have a furminator and I use it about 1-2 times a week, so my cats do not shed as much as they used to. Even though it costs around $50 it’s absolutely worth it!

Siber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, if your cat’s nutrition is not balanced or you buy cheap food then it can cause your cats shed more

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoebejeziel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, if your cat’s nutrition is not balanced or you buy cheap food then it can cause your cats shed more
Good to know! I typically feed them fancy feast wet food and special kitty wet food. Not sure where this lies on the "cheap food" scale, but they really like it. I'd like to be able to afford the really good stuff, but for now this is about as much I can afford, especially with how much they eat.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you said the Fur wizard? Its supposed to be good for cleaning pet hair. But havent tried it. its a as soon on tv item

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I run a slightly damp piece of flannel over the furniture and it picks up and pills any cat hair. After that it is easy to vacuum the pills of hair up and the furniture is totally clean. I also have an suction driven mini roller for the vacuum that does a great job of picking up hair.