Chatty cats!?!

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know cats are supposed to only talk to humans but I keep "catching" my 1yo female meowing at a couple of feral/stray cats that frequent the backyard. I noticed this because the other cats were initially calling to her. I know they're not but it really did seem like they were communicating.
The weird thing that is whenever I come out the cat that was "talking" would look at me and run off. Including my girl who when "caught" would reow and run up and rub against my legs.
Have I uncovered a big secret?!?
Anyone else experience this

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know cats are supposed to only talk to humans but I keep "catching" my 1yo female meowing at a couple of feral/stray cats that frequent the backyard. I noticed this because the other cats were initially calling to her. I know they're not but it really did seem like they were communicating.
The weird thing that is whenever I come out the cat that was "talking" would look at me and run off. Including my girl who when "caught" would reow and run up and rub against my legs.
Have I uncovered a big secret?!?
Anyone else experience this
It's typical cat behaviour.  Cats are far more communicative and intelligent than most people credit.  Look around - at least one of them was smart enough to get into your house and into your Heart.

;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks so sus, because they stop whenever I go out. It's hilarious. They look at me like they've been caught red handed.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are plotting your demise!

I've wondered what's communicated between house cats and strays they see through the windows. I imagine strays taunt the housecats, like kids taunting other kids for being momma's boys.

"What's the matter, you gonna come out of your cozy and warm human house and fight me? Oh that's right -- you can't! You're stuck in there! Haha!"

Owner calls out from inside the house: "Mr. Snookums, dinner's ready! Your favorite, turkey and giblets!"

Stray to other stray: "Did you hear that? 'Mr. Snookums'! Ahahaha! We're gonna go hunt us some rodents, enjoy your canned meat puree, Snookums!"

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
They are plotting your demise!

I've wondered what's communicated between house cats and strays they see through the windows. I imagine strays taunt the housecats, like kids taunting other kids for being momma's boys.

"What's the matter, you gonna come out of your cozy and warm human house and fight me? Oh that's right -- you can't! You're stuck in there! Haha!"

Owner calls out from inside the house: "Mr. Snookums, dinner's ready! Your favorite, turkey and giblets!"

Stray to other stray: "Did you hear that? 'Mr. Snookums'! Ahahaha! We're gonna go hunt us some rodents, enjoy your canned meat puree, Snookums!"
I agree with Plan, that the feral cats might be taunting your cat through the window (it actually does happen). Does your cat seem disturbed after these incidents? Some indoor cats get distressed with seeing cats outdoors, they feel their territory is being invaded. Additionally, is your cat spayed? Cats can smell potential mates, so if the cat outside is a male, something like that might be going on. I've even heard of whole males trying to mate with spayed females! I'd like to refer you to this YouTube video (read the video description), where something similar is happening with rabbits (I know they're different than cats, but they have a similar mating drive):

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's a spayed 1yo female. She doesn't seemed distressed. This occurs when she's out on the balcony and she can leave and go inside if they upset her. It seems like there like neighbours having a chat over the back fence. They just act like there busted if I come out while there "talking".
One of the cats is a feral that I used to feed, that a neighbour has abandoned in the backyard. If anything it's trying to be friends with my girl, I think?!?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Elliesvictim, from your description, this just sounds rather harmless. Cats are more similar to humans than we often give them credit for. They're probably just chit-chatting about cat stuff :).