Chasing the Laser?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
A couple of weeks ago, my old laser pointer gave up the ghost and I ordered a new one.  The old kind was no longer available so I picked one recommended here on TCS.  Now to the weird part.  Chula used to obsessively chase the original laser dot while Paul had little interest in it. Now the situation is reversed.  Paul races around like a maniac while Chula sits and watches him and makes an occasional swipe with her paw at the red dot as it goes past. 

I don't know enough (actually anything) about the technology behind these laser pointers to explain this.  Just thought I'd share this to let people know that there is some indication (based on my experience) that a cat's response may vary from one laser to the next.  Perhaps if your cat doesn't chase one laser, he or she might chase another.

They are such great ways to get a cat to work out - Paul has definitely gotten tubbier since I adopted him 5 months ago.  I think he must be tipping 18 pounds now - yikes!  Of course he always gets a treat at the end of his work out so he doesn't end up feeling frustrated but I think it still works out to be a plus in the weight loss department.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My cats were never interested in lasers-and then I read somewhere that lasers may just frustrate them, so I didn't try any more.  They love their 'Da Bird' type toys, though!   

Interesting, though, that different lasers may have different effects on cats.

kamitchell6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I pick up several at a time at a dollar store. They are located at the check out lanes. I have 3 cats that are a little over a year old. They all go wild for them. I tried another brand from Walmart in the pet aisle. Other then costing $4.00 more per laser I don't see a noticeable difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I pick up several at a time at a dollar store. They are located at the check out lanes. I have 3 cats that are a little over a year old. They all go wild for them. I tried another brand from Walmart in the pet aisle. Other then costing $4.00 more per laser I don't see a noticeable difference.
Well, there goes THAT theory!